How difficult is it to breed clams?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'd say its very expensive to get started because(correct me if I'm wrong) their spawning has a lot to do with moon cycles and such so you'd have to have a very natural set-up where light cycles change over time and and with tidal effects and all. Also you'd need to breed food for the little clams. Also collecting the eggs once you do get them to spawn could be difficult. You could always try to send e-mails to ORA and other actual breeders(which I don't think there are a lot out there) and ask. Again, I don't know if they are willing to share information that could put competitors out there.

Maybe you should start with fish? There is a huge demand of aquacultured cardinals, which are actually quite easy to breed

You might try reading some of Simon Ellis papers. VERY difficult to say the least.

thanks, I actually have been planning a PLC controlled lighting system, I have an old Allen Bradley SLC500 that I am going to use, I can program lights and moon exacty as nature for any chosen lat/long. I am also going to stimulate tides based on the moon cycles. All through my master PLC. I even have plans to connect the PLC to a desktop so I can monitor remotely, hookup web cams, even perform feedings and water changes, get sents alerts if any parameters are out of range, the sky is the limit (as you can probably tell by now, I am an Engineer)

I am going to start reading, I just move to the PNW and need a winter project.

thanks,

Travis

It would definitely be an awesome project. Some guy is selling the perfect tank for something like this on CL right now. Its actually in the for sale forum here. Really low 300 gallon tank. Keep reading and keep us posted on your plans!

It would definitely be an awesome project. Some guy is selling the perfect tank for something like this on CL right now. Its actually in the for sale forum here. Really low 300 gallon tank. Keep reading and keep us posted on your plans!

I am actually planning on using the top portion of my ebb and flow hydroponic system for this, and put my 250 watt metal halide on it. I also have a couple 400 Watts I could use too. I got the best deal in the world on a hydroponic system and lights on CL. This tray is about 12" high x 36 x 48 and already plumbed. It was designed for food grade applications and to be under lights so I figure it should work fine. I will tie this into my 25 gal refiguim and 25 gal frag tank system. I have the bottom portion of this ebb and flow hydoponic system that I can use too, and maybe put one of my 400 W over this.

agreed, if you plan on selling them, stay away from crocea that is the only thing at LFS and they are one of the more difficult ones as well.

Here are some pictures. I do not have the light up yet. Here are the URLs too.
http://www.class3hiking.com-a.googlepages.com/clamtanksetup11-02-08.jpg
http://www.class3hiking.com-a.googlepages.com/clamtank211-02-08.jpg
http://www.class3hiking.com-a.googlepages.com/clamtank311-02-08.jpg

clamtanksetup11-02-08.jpg

clamtank211-02-08.jpg

clamtank311-02-08.jpg

are you going to have any fish in with your clam set up? i heard it is good to have fish poop to filter feed clams...?

are you going to have any fish in with your clam set up? i heard it is good to have fish poop to filter feed clams...?

I have 3 fish in my frag tank wich is all internconnected and the flow is high enough that a lot of it will make it into this clam tank. I may put 1 fish that will help with potential parasites. What would you recommend? A 6 line wrasse? Plus my fuge is loaded with bugs, and I hope that as the population builds these will help feed the clams. I feed phyto daily to keep the bugs growing.

thanks,

Clams most likely won't eat the bugs. Clams filter feed and eat phytoplankton. Usually the Isochrysis will be your best strain of phyto to feed them. Being as how all your tanks are connected, how are you going to keep a clam spawning event, which will usually trigger the rest of your clams to spawn, from wiping out your entire system?

A 6 Line would probably be your best bet for a fish to control parasitic Pyram. snails.

thanks for your input. Yes, all my tanks are connected but I have made all tanks capable of running by themselves with isolation valves so the plan would be to isoalte this tank near spawning time. The trick is to predict spawning times, and I hope to get a few clams to start and monitor their signs indicating they are ready to spawn and also experiement with inducing spawning before going forward. It would be nice if I could automaticaly detect the spawn in the water and automatically isolate this tank. Maybe some sort of turbidity monitor?? The possiblities are endless. At a minimum I plan at some point to have webcams setup for remote monitoring. And even remotely change water, isolate tanks, etc.

And I will continue to feed phyto which will feed clams and bugs.

Clams most likely won't eat the bugs. Clams filter feed and eat phytoplankton. Usually the Isochrysis will be your best strain of phyto to feed them. Being as how all your tanks are connected, how are you going to keep a clam spawning event, which will usually trigger the rest of your clams to spawn, from wiping out your entire system?

A 6 Line would probably be your best bet for a fish to control parasitic Pyram. snails.

you are also going to have to find clams that are sexually matured which could be a task in itself.

you are also going to have to find clams that are sexually matured which could be a task in itself.

Yeah I know, I am in no rush and am fine with getting yonger clams and raising them until mature. I have heard that they start to spawn as little as 3". I want to make sure that my conditions are optimal and I know almost all there is to know on how to raise clams before attempting anything as complicated as breeding.

Back