How do I get my Cortez angel back in shape?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Big E

I have a 6" sub adult cortez angel I grew from a 1" juvi. He's developed some minor fin rot & heavier breathing than normal. I'm ashamed to admit this has happened from neglect & him being bullied by a tang in a system I wasn't maintaining properly. He's been shy & timid from day one & this has never changed.

Anyways, these conditions have been this way for quite some time, so it's not a death threatening situation. He eats aggressively & his weight is good. He's presently housed in a tank that is connected to my sps system, so he is now in water that has excellant quality. It's been about 4-5 weeks & the conditions persist. Can he shake this without me having to treat him in a seperate hospital tank? What would be the best course of action at this point?

If the fish has indeed been removed from the sources which have stressed it into this condition, then the fish should repair and heal on its own. That this fish isn't repairing on its own comes down to two primary possibilities: the stressors have not been removed; the fish is not getting the proper nutrition it needs for the repair.

If you are sure the water quality is proper and there are no tank mate issues, then turn to nutrition. You need to provide this fish with the proper foods. They need to be frozen or gelled foods. You need to add vitamin and fat supplements to the foods, yourself. For this situation, also add immune boosters to the food: Immune Boosters.

Compare what you are feeding the fish and how often you feed the fish to these post recommendations:
Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition
and
Different Marine Fish Food Forms

Thanks Lee,

I had been feeding it mostly Formula 1&2 frozen foods. I've switchhed to a homemade recipe recently(last week or so) & that should give him most of what he needs hopefully.

He's only with a pair of Maroon clowns & the female is a bit of a witch, but he doesn't seem to mind much. I'll up the feedings & fill in the missing ingredients.

Btw, your sticky threads are FANTASTIC with comprehensive & thourough info.............best on the web.

Thanks. Add the supplements and vary the foods. If you are using your own hommade recipe, then you probably have an edge (if the recipe is good).

Back