How do I get rid of Aiptasia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SB0169

Red Volitan
I have Aiptasia in my tank. I'm fairly new to the hobby, and need an effective way to get rid of them before they take over, while not harming anything else I have. Thanks for any suggestions.
NeedtoSort200.jpg

You can cover them with kalk paste, hit them with boiling water or use something like joes juice. The real key is to use them as a tool. You know there is somthing not right if they are spreading and thriving in your tank. If all is well they starve off faily easily.

Don

Seth, welcome to the party!! I'd venture to say that there isn't very many reef tanks out there that don't have any aiptasia in them. Unfortunately mine does. I've read that peppermint shrimp eat them, but have talked to people that say they don't. Another option is a copperbanded butterfly. I just got one and got him in my tank, we'll see how it goes, he's only been in there a couple days so far. There are several chemical methods to get rid of the stuff, but do you really want to put chemicals in your tank?! Good luck getting rid of them!!

I have had good luck with peppermint shrimp, although it seems to be a little hit or miss. I've tried a few of the other methods and Joe's Juice worked the best of the things i tried.

Seth, welcome to the party!! I'd venture to say that there isn't very many reef tanks out there that don't have any aiptasia in them. Unfortunately mine does. I've read that peppermint shrimp eat them, but have talked to people that say they don't. Another option is a copperbanded butterfly. I just got one and got him in my tank, we'll see how it goes, he's only been in there a couple days so far. There are several chemical methods to get rid of the stuff, but do you really want to put chemicals in your tank?! Good luck getting rid of them!!

Most if not all the chemical methods are reef safe including muratic acid injection. Your using such small amount they have no effect on anything except the aptasia. Pepermint shrimp are hit and miss and using fish to cure a nutrient dependent creature issue is going to help them thrive. They are there because thay can.

Don

The shrimp won't work(for me) since the porcupine puffer will munch em, and I really don't want to use chems. Let me know how the copperbanded butterfly works out. Thanks for the hints.

Don, what conditions would stimulate growth in them? My water chemistry is good. And how on earth can I hit them with boilng water? Thanks!

Boiling water in a turkey baster. Kalk paste works great. Mix the powder with a little water apply with popsicle stick something similar. Dead in a few minutes.

The shrimp won't work(for me) since the porcupine puffer will munch em, and I really don't want to use chems. Let me know how the copperbanded butterfly works out. Thanks for the hints.

Don, what conditions would stimulate growth in them? My water chemistry is good. And how on earth can I hit them with boilng water? Thanks!

Syringe. Just boil some water in the microwave suck it into the syring and quickly squirt the little devils or even stab them if you can. Kalk paste can be used to just cover over them and works ok. My favorite and most effective is muratic acid.

Nutrients stimulate growth and spreading just like any other living creature. They need higher nutrients than the corals and other things that we keep. So reducing the systems nutrients will keep them at bay. Kill off most of them by hand then keep and eye on things if they are spreading then reduce your nutrients. Like I said they are a good tool or nutrient meter.

Don

Syringe. Just boil some water in the microwave suck it into the syring and quickly squirt the little devils or even stab them if you can. Kalk paste can be used to just cover over them and works ok. My favorite and most effective is muratic acid.

Nutrients stimulate growth and spreading just like any other living creature. They need higher nutrients than the corals and other things that we keep. So reducing the systems nutrients will keep them at bay. Kill off most of them by hand then keep and eye on things if they are spreading then reduce your nutrients. Like I said they are a good tool or nutrient meter.

Don

Wow! Them suckers really hate hot water

i have only ever had one.. i used a syringe and injected it with hot water....i had to end up using kalk paste...i use it to kill stray mushrooms as well.. i just stick the needle straight in them and inject the suckers.. they melt away almost instantly

I have to say injecting them with a syringe full of kalk at their base does the trick everytime. It just takes awhile to consistently do that. I've been fortunate enough to get 3 peppermint shrimp that seem to think it's Thanksgiving everytime they come upon an aptasia. It took awhile before I found ones that did that though. The key is really keeping your water conditions in check. Once they're in check it will be alot easier to keep their numbers on the downward swing. Good luck.

I have to say injecting them with a syringe full of kalk at their base does the trick everytime. It just takes awhile to consistently do that. I've been fortunate enough to get 3 peppermint shrimp that seem to think it's Thanksgiving everytime they come upon an aptasia. It took awhile before I found ones that did that though. The key is really keeping your water conditions in check. Once they're in check it will be alot easier to keep their numbers on the downward swing. Good luck.

What exactly is kalk, and where do I get it? Also, where does one get a syringe w/ needle? (Other than going downtown and searching out the neighborhood crackhead)? Thanks

copperbanded butterfly

Almost guaranteed to slowly starve to death over time. From what I have read, and every LFS employee and owner tells me not to get this fish. It is a difficult one to keep long term. Of course, there are always those who defy the norm.....

I have way too many corals to use Kalk and have had extremely good success keeping two peppermint shrimp for aptasia in my 120. I have a fuge and overflow loaded with aptasia and not a single one in my display. When I do get them in my display I know my shrimps have died or been eaten and its time for two more. Mine hide from my predators very well as they are nocturnal feeders. You might be suprised how long they will live if you can just get them in the rocks past the puffer during introduction.

copperbanded butterfly

Almost guaranteed to slowly starve to death over time. From what I have read, and every LFS employee and owner tells me not to get this fish. It is a difficult one to keep long term. Of course, there are always those who defy the norm.....

I have way too many corals to use Kalk and have had extremely good success keeping two peppermint shrimp for aptasia in my 120. I have a fuge and overflow loaded with aptasia and not a single one in my display. When I do get them in my display I know my shrimps have died or been eaten and its time for two more. Mine hide from my predators very well as they are nocturnal feeders. You might be suprised how long they will live if you can just get them in the rocks past the puffer during introduction.

I'll try the shrimp. Puffers are nocturnal feeders too. Therein lies my fear. That can get to be expensive fish food. As soon as the lights shut off, my puffer gets active searching for food.

We had so many at one time I couldn't inject them fast enough, the pepperments couldn't do it. Then we got our Copperbanded butterfly, I love that fish!!!!! We've not seen an aptasia in months, but Copper is still looking, she eats from my hand once in a while.

We had so many at one time I couldn't inject them fast enough, the pepperments couldn't do it. Then we got our Copperbanded butterfly, I love that fish!!!!! We've not seen an aptasia in months, but Copper is still looking, she eats from my hand once in a while.

I've heard that the copperband butterflies will munch on LPS polyps and featherdusters... Is that accurate? I don't want that!

I can't help you there. We don't have any of those. Is a cup coral concidered LPS? If so we do have one of those and she doesn't bother it. I've read that they will mess with clams also, so far so good. We had the clam first.

What exactly is kalk, and where do I get it? Also, where does one get a syringe w/ needle?
Kalkwasser is used to keep up CA levels in your tank....you can buy it at any local fish store.. as for syringes, you can order them online.. 21g or 22g....i like 21g's....they are bigger and won't clog up as easily

I used Joe's juice and wiped them out in one go (the majanos also). Igot it and the syringe at indoor reef (6th and procter?)

Back