How do I get rid of microbubbles?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattleycrue76

Aquajunkie
I thought there was just some sediment being blown around in my tank but after a closer inspection i realized that it seems to be microbubbles. what would be the best way to get rid of them?

The easiest way is to turn off the pump that is causing them:D

The only way microbubbles can be introduced into your aquarium is air being being sucked into a return line or pump by either:
A. A small hole somewhere in the return line creating a mini venturi
B. Bubbles getting sucked into your return pump (water cascading into the part of the sump where your pump is causing bubbles which get sucked up and chewed up.. instant micro bubbles.. works great for a skimmer but not so attractive in a display aquarium!:eek:)
C. Your power head or pump is to close the surface of your tank, causing a whirlpool effect sucking air.

Find the source of the airbubbles prior to your pump causing the problem, and that will fix the problem!

Good luck! Let us know what it turned out to be!?

Ok I've spent some time staring at my sump and here's what i've come up with. The sump is divided into three sections. First is the crash box where the overflow drains in to. Lots of movement and bubbles there. This chamber then overflows into the middle larger section which houses my protein skimmer. I can't really tell whether the overfow into the middle section is causing a lot of bubbles because there are already alot in the water from the crashbox. The water then flows underneath the the next divider to the return section.

I was thinking of putting some sort of filter (nylon stocking?) over the return tube in the crashbox and maybe a sponge between the middle compartment and the return section too.

So far I'm just thinking out loud. If this sounds stupid let me know. I can handle it :)

If you don't have an adequet bubble trap before your return chamber then chances are you will have micro-bubbles being returned to the tank (especially if you skimmer is in the chamber before the return chamber). Some pre-made sumps actually come with a bid square sponge (sometimes called a polishing block if I remember correctly) right before the return section to catch any tiny bubbles before the pass to the return section. The only problem with that is you will have to stay on top of keeping the sponge either changed out or cleaned regularily otherwise in can become a nitrate trap. Also, to cut down on the amount of bubbles the pump will pick up in the return chamber, you can always put an elbow (90 degree fitting) on the return pump and have it the suck water from the bottom of the sump. Bubbles will rise so the lower you suck, the less bubbles it will take in and also, this will give you a bit more play with your water level in your sump if you forget to top off some days. Just a few thoughts... :)

Back