Votes: 55 34.4%
  • No Floating, just Drip Method

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • No Floating, just add water every 15-30 min

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Other (Add Below)

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
how long can a creature remain in a bag? I have well water in north east pa and the water is realy cold. It can take a long time to heat it up. A couple of hours at least. Plus nothing is real close. so an hour drive home, mix up water and heat 2 hours 3 hours in a bag. 2 more hours to acclimate to your tank and you have a long time.

You could probably have some water made prior to the trip circulating in a bucket. If you have the temp in the bucket somewhere in the 70F range, then it won't take much longer to raise the temperature, while you adjust for pH and/or salinity. Do you keep the corals in a cooler or insulated container for the drive?

If the fish has been in a bag for a long time (say being shipped via plane), it best just to match temp., and just get them into good water. That polluted water will do more harm than anything else. If should put them ina quaratine tank anyways so, if they get sick, you can treat it easily.

NaH2O said:
You could probably have some water made prior to the trip circulating in a bucket. If you have the temp in the bucket somewhere in the 70F range, then it won't take much longer to raise the temperature, while you adjust for pH and/or salinity. Do you keep the corals in a cooler or insulated container for the drive?
I usually have the lfs double bag and wrap the livestock in paper. Sometimes they will have a styrofoam cooler the items were shipped to them in and I will use that. I usually just drip acclimate it seems to work for me. I will try this method though and see if its a better way.

If it is fish 90% of the time I only drip acclimate for a few hours until the fish is swimming in 100% of my water. For corals I just float the bag to temp and do the neccesarry treatment then off it goes into the tank.

Back