how do you cycle again

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trillyen

what???
ok good this time I aint use chromis to cycle my qt tank or will I any of my tanks any more

I did throw a raw shrimp in my qt tank to startvthe cycle and it did and I had all the spikes and now my trites are spiked so now what???

Do I just wait or do I need to start up on salt water changes?? I did a fresh water change once and the added a lil more salt but I don't think it helped

Also when I add salt to my bigger tanks should I follow the same procedeur for the big tanks

Thanks ahead of time my friends

Nitrites or Nitrates? Nitrites let it go, Nitrates start changing some water.

A course assuming nothing alive is in QT...

just let it cycle for a while until you get the water tested and there is just nitrates then you can do a water change thats my opinion

thanks I think I got more trites than any thing but I may have slightvtraces of trades don't all the trites eat all the trates or something like that and all the trates eat the ammonia but of course not in that order I believe the ammonia happens 1st

Thanks guys

It'd be cool if I didnt have to do any water changes

fill tank with new made salt water
then
add raw shrimp (or what ever you do) somepeople do other things
wait
test
wait
test
wait
test.
nh4-no2-no3-
wait till no2 and nh4 are gone.

water change.

if this is a QT tank and you dont have anything in there.... feed the tank a very very small amount once a week... so the batiera dosnt starve.

water changes are few and fare between if unstocked but when stocked it will need water changes often (according 2 your bio load)

There is nothing in the tank right now. But yeah I can feed the bacteria a very small amount that sounds cool.

The tank has only been up for about 3 weeks with the salt. I wanted to know what cycle happens first though

Does the ammonia happen the the trates kill the ammonia then the trites kill off the trates

What bacteria will I be feeding and what should I feed them??

my trates are about 10 ppm and my trites are spiked

Why should I feed the bacteria

Do I just wait or do I need to start up on salt water changes?? I did a fresh water change once and the added a lil more salt but I don't think it helped

Also when I add salt to my bigger tanks should I follow the same procedeur for the big tanks
are you saying you did a water change with freshwater??? you added extra salt?? i am confused..what were you trying to help by adding salt??
i may be reading it wrong, but i got confused

yes don't feel bad I confused my self when I did too

Ok what I did was empty the tank water because of a cycle that was going on then I readded some r/o water then I realized that the salinity level was to low from the change something that I forgot since it has been a while since I've had my hand at salt but yeah don't worry I got a extra trash can now with a heater and power head to keep some fresh salt water for my qt tank

thanks sorry for the confusion

my failed qt'd
Picture3002033.jpg

Picture3002232.jpg

Picture3002250.jpg

then some how it turned in to this.
Picture3003390.jpg

now its the sergeant's tank

Last edited:
I don't know wheteher to feel sorry for you or ne happy forcypu

So do you not have a qtvrank now atvall do you plan on never buying any more fish or something

What if one ofbyou fish get sick or something god forbid sorry but I'm not following thecstiry behind your qt tank turning into a reef tank LOL

You gotta have a qt tank man you just gottadont make me have this talk with you LOL

hey was that a 802 aquaclears you had in there when it was a qt tank if so do you know what GPH its rated at

Back