How do you make your saltwater? Any tricks?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont think you have to use a drill... damn! lol

i use my plastic black handle 2 my kent yellow bladed snail scraper of death... i remove the blade part.

take 5 gal bucket. (the one by the RO is the "Fresh water only" bucket, i have 1 for mix and one for old.

i take my 1 cup messureing thingie 2 level scoops

i fill the fresh water bucket with RODI thats at 80 degree to the same line on the bucket.
i pure the fresh water in the bucket that has the salt already laying in the bottem.

that alone almost mix's clear, then i set the mix and the old bucket infront of my tank,

turn all the flow off... mix it ageain wait for it to be clean and go...

takes all of about 5 min,

Picture3003234.jpg

(WOOT! 7:57am lights on!

i dont think you have to use a drill... damn! lol

i use my plastic black handle 2 my kent yellow bladed snail scraper of death... i remove the blade part.

take 5 gal bucket. (the one by the RO is the "Fresh water only" bucket, i have 1 for mix and one for old.

i take my 1 cup messureing thingie 2 level scoops

i fill the fresh water bucket with RODI thats at 80 degree to the same line on the bucket.
i pure the fresh water in the bucket that has the salt already laying in the bottem.

that alone almost mix's clear, then i set the mix and the old bucket infront of my tank,

turn all the flow off... mix it ageain wait for it to be clean and go...

takes all of about 5 min,

Picture3003234.jpg

(WOOT! 7:57am lights on!

:lol::lol: We need to post your methed as a sticky call "how not to mix fresh saltwater". Just kidding, but that is one sure way to get supersaturation and precip, that you want to avoid.

Don

I need to know too. "Supersaturation" (seems to me) can only occur if added salt quantity is considerably above the target amount. In other words how can "supersaturation occur if there isn't enough salt to create "supersaturation"?

Reeferdude,

Can you please define " above the target amount" in your reply. Do you mean, if you current salinity is 1.024 and you are added a salt mixture that is above this amount, (ie, 1.026) ?

We're talking about making saltwater, so the baseline will be fresh water, zero salt. "Target amount" varies but could be anywhere from 1.022 through 1.026. If the appropriate amount of salt is added to fresh water to achieve the "target amount" how can "supersaturation" occur?

burning2nd wrote: "fresh water in the bucket that has the salt already laying in the bottem."

DonW wrote: "but that is one sure way to get supersaturation and precip, that you want to avoid."

My response was based on the assumption that the salt laying on the bottom of the bucket was somewhere close to the amount necessary to achieve proper salinity, not a ridiculous amount laying there that would cause 'supersaturation".

Last edited:
Lets Make This Easy Make What U Use A Day Or Per Week Ect On The Spot ..i Have Learned To Make Mine At Time Needed With Ro/id Up To Temp Water .i Use A Mag 35 To Mix And Pay Attention To The Flow ,changing It Often .."sps People Should Take Alittle More Care And Time" But I Have Lps !so I Do Following!water,pump,salt,check In Five Minutes Adj.add To Overflow For Maxium Mix To Tank .done Watcha Think Guys Simple!!!!

I DONT understand any of this...

it takes me about 2 and half min to mix up 5g's of salt water that it ready to use.

I need to know too. "Supersaturation" (seems to me) can only occur if added salt quantity is considerably above the target amount. In other words how can "supersaturation occur if there isn't enough salt to create "supersaturation"?

Think about it this way. You put salt in the bottom of the bucket then add water. As you add the water your reaching saturation so as your filling the bucket your getting precip that cannot be recovered.

The article posted in the beginning of this explains it pretty well. I think taking the time to read the beginning of the article would explain much easier.

Don

Hi,

I was at my lfs this weekend and got some natural seawater instead of mixing my own strangley enough the water come from your side of the pond the coast of florida, expensive maybe £30.00gbp $60 usd approx for 33 litres but what a time saving, natural water way better than the synthetic type complete with all the goodies, shop keeper says its one of the best sellers despite the cost and he receives nothing but positive remarks about it.

For that price, I would not be able to afford to stay in this hobby. I'm glad I own my RO unit and make my own water. :D:D

Rule of thumb is...

Put the water first then the salt... and not the other way around.

not gonna say anything after this..

but thats a cheap rule of thumb... I read that hole artical and think its all a bunch of scientifc mofo's tootin there own horn..

salt first then water for well more then a year and some..... meny meny buckets ago....

not gonna say anything after this..

but thats a cheap rule of thumb... I read that hole artical and think its all a bunch of scientifc mofo's tootin there own horn..

salt first then water for well more then a year and some..... meny meny buckets ago....

angry-smiley-046.gif
You really should lay off the pot.:)

I wouldn't exactly say it that way but I agree with you 100% burning2nd. Adding water to salt ain't gonna make a hoot of difference. The amount of precipitation that could, I say could occur during the time the salt dissolves while the water is added is infinitesimal. Definitely not gonna hurt anything IMO. :p

According to Wikipedia the term supersaturation refers to a solution that contains more of the dissolved material than could be dissolved by the solvent under normal circumstances. Emphasis on the COULD. So if the salt is still in the process of dissolving you cannot determine if supersaturation has occurred. Only after the entire quantity of water has been used can you determine if it is supersaturated. Besides, how long does it really take for you to pour your (especially you guys and gals only doing 5 gallons at a time) water into the salt. Toot! Toot!:D

Everyone has opinions which is great but for practical purposes of helping someone that isn't as experienced as others posting these ideas without going into through explanation as to why they can do such things isn't the best idea of helping that someone that isn't so experienced. Yes there are many ways to accomplish this one ask but for starters I'd stick to what we know is the most recommended/safest way & later once your more experienced or more aware that when people suggest out of the ordinary ways you should look deeper into it to make sure they are providing you with all of the information & experience to do it that way, even though tap water, dry salt first can work, I see many things left unsaid that a newbie wouldn't pick up on. So with that said make sense, help the guy or really put thought into what or why you do these things that you won't most often see or be suggested, all I see is one confused person if it was me.

whats the word for the "water" that you see when salt water and fresh water mix?

*not Hj'n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back