How do you plant a mangrove seed/sprout?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xxkenny90xx

Hey everybody so I received a black mangrove sprout recently and have done quite a bit of research on how to raise it but without pictures I can't figure out how exactly to plant it. I've read that they need to be partially out of the water, but which part goes into the water and which part out? I've also read that they need a deep sand bed. This confuses me, do they need to be suspended near the top of the tank, or planted in the sand?? Currently I've got it floating in a hollowed out piece of Styrofoam with the sprouting part (roots) in the water and the seed barely touching the water but I don't like my set up because I've heard the halides being 9" away will be too hot. Any advice? Thanks guys

You need to plant it in a pot of soil to start it out. Mangroves do need a substrate in order for their roots to take hold, thus allowing the plant to grow. You can use old tank water to keep it watered. Grow it like you would most any seedling :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, rainydave I suppose I should of checked on rf for some info since that's where I got the seed.. My concern now is that I have it floating in my main dt but it's about 9" away from the halides. I have a fan blowing across the top of the tank but I'm still worried the seed might burn. I can't let it float in the sump because it keeps floating to the return section. I'd really like to keep it in the tank or sump rather than a pot if possible.

Back