how flat does my tank stand need to be?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I am finally setting up my 100 gallon but norticed that the stand got wet near the overflow and the wood swelled a little. The tank has a small gap under the edge in the back when placed on it. I am sure once filled with water it will sit flat, but concerned that this slight higher spot may casue issues.

What do you think?

I will start my build thread soon and appreciate the help everyone has supplied,

Travis

go to home depot and buy a sheet of 3/4" insulation ridgid styrofome
and put hat under it!
It will compensate for the uneven wood on the top of the stand!!!

I know i spelled that all wrong and I don't know the name of the stuff but you get the idea!
ALOT of reefers do this under there big tanks!!
FINN nd KRISFAL both have 240gallon and 390 gallon respectfully and both have this under there tanks!
Finn's is glass and KRIS's is acrylic tank!

but won't that look kind of sloppy? It is a coner, pentagon tank with a stand the same shape. I can't see how I could make this look decent. Plus with 2 young girls I know they would end up picking at the foam.

thanks,

go to home depot and buy a sheet of 3/4" insulation ridgid styrofome
and put hat under it!
It will compensate for the uneven wood on the top of the stand!!!

Um this one is out of my league !
I'm sure someone else here can answer your question better than me!
Sorry, good luck!

you cut the foam to shape of your tank. If you have a lip on your stand of any type it will cover it. You can also use a marker and color the edge fo the foam. I would never have tank without some foam under it. Works great for leveling.

you cut the foam to shape of your tank. If you have a lip on your stand of any type it will cover it. You can also use a marker and color the edge fo the foam. I would never have tank without some foam under it. Works great for leveling.

Agreed, you can even use some matching wood trim to wrap the tank for a classy look.

-augustus

I once had this issue, even though you have acrylic, I'd remove the tank & repair the surface. Either with a plainer or replace the wood, last thing you want is a high corner to add unnecessary stress.
JMO
If you do foam as suggested the rather going to HD go to a sporting good store & look at the high density sleeping mats. They are thin but will support the weight while accommodating slight imperfections better than plain foam.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14537&d=1154386106

I am finally setting up my 100 gallon but norticed that the stand got wet near the overflow and the wood swelled a little. The tank has a small gap under the edge in the back when placed on it. I am sure once filled with water it will sit flat, but concerned that this slight higher spot may casue issues.

What do you think?

I will start my build thread soon and appreciate the help everyone has supplied,

Travis

Back