How Hosed Am I?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

colin779

I have a icecap 175w electronic MH ballast that i purchased about a year ago that has started flickering. I do know its the ballast because i have plugged that ballast into the other light with the same result, i also tested the voltage from the outlet and it is 121v. For arguments sake i also plugged it into a different outlet as well and tried both lamps, same result.

Bummer...And I think I read here icecap went out of buisness. I'd talk to Mike (herefishyfishy). Something's telling me he mentioned he may have a ballast lying around or something. Could be wrong, but if you need one, won't hurt asking him. :)

Yea, that's what I heard as well. I did send an email since the company website is still up but we'll see what happens with that. I'll do some more research and see what I come up with. Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll drop him a pm. I wonder if there's anyone in the area that could repair it? I doubt it's some super secret technology inside that only icecap could fix?

CoralVue hired the main guy from IceCap (Chris Conti) and they are repairing the 660 and 440 T5 drivers. I don't know if they are doing anything for the MH ballasts though. Here is a link the the repair section on their site. IceCap 660 & 440 Fluorescent Ballast Repair Service | CoralVue Email Chris at the email address on that page. He got right back to us when we had questions.

Thanks for the reply, I actually spoke with Chris on the phone today and he said because of the way the mh ballasts are constructed there isn't a way to repair it. He did suggest I try another lamp if I have one just to be absolutely sure it is a ballast issue. I have a xm 10k sitting in my garage that I will try once I get home, I'll let you know how it goes.

So it seems the ballast is actually ok. I put an old xm 10k bulb I had in and it did not flicker, I put the ushio 14k back in and it started again. Anyone ever had an experience like this?

Are u sure the 10 k and the 14 k are the same watts? 250 175 400 cause powering a higher wattage bulb with a smaller ballast could lead to flickering. Just an idea to test

Yes, they are both 175w bulbs. I left the xm 10k in and am sad to report that I can hardly tell the difference between it and the 14k ushio. Is there another 14k that may be a little bluer or should I just go with the xm's since the par value is much higher on them?

I recently had the same problem. I was running Hamilton lamps everything was fine. Changed to a ushio lamp and the bulb would fire but after a couple seconds would go out. I am an electrician so I had to figure out what was going on. Come to find out that ushio lamps take a Different ballast (m137 type). My fixture had a m57 ballast which are more common. So there are 2 ways to fix it. (1) change ballast to a m137 or (2)get a different brand of lamp. Good luck

I found out it was a lamp issue, my ballast's are ok to run them as they are electronic, also being an electrician i did all sorts of tests on everything as well. I couldnt find anything wrong so i have decided it was probably caused by the age of the lamps (they are both oficially 12 months old). The spare xm lamp i had as a spare works fine. I went down to The Shark Reef (my lfs) and ordered a couple xm 20k lamps. I was not overly impressed with the Ushio 14k's so i don't know that i will try any of their other lamps.

Back