How hot is too hot..?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dtd87

Somehow my tank was sitting at 84 degrees. My house is sitting at a toasty 63 degrees inside. I do have a 150w mh it is hanging about 6 inches from the water surface. I'm wondering if this heat is stressing my corals. I don't know if the rise is caused by the heater or what. "Hydro theo 150w" . I put the honeywell fan over the top like I used to during summer. I'm hoping this helps and I can tinker with the heater. Any advice would be grand.

That is pretty hot for corals, I don't like to let my tank get above 80 for long if at all. I would def check on the heater asap and see what is up.

working on it now T.T .. I was like WTF IS GOING ON lol.. I also read the heat helps pest algae bloom up..

How much water volume? If you're air temp is 63 and the water temp is 84 I think something more than the lights is putting heat into the tank. I'd check for a stuck heater.

Mike

How much water volume? If you're air temp is 63 and the water temp is 84 I think something more than the lights is putting heat into the tank. I'd check for a stuck heater.

Mike

The 36 bow, I scrapped all the coraline off the heater got the temp to drop to 78.2 with the light on and NO heater w/ the fan off so I'm hoping cleaning up the heater fixes it or I need a titanium w/ a ranco controller

93 is too hot. Our heater went wack and we lost one of our fish. :( Heater has been replaced and everyone is good now.

Yeah I don't know what happened, wondering if this is why my Armor of god is having trouble.

Pretty warm. I really can't see the lights adding that much heat with the room so cold. Dipping the heater in vinegar will remove all the calcium in a hurry with no scraping, but the heaters that I have seen run cooler when they have buildup on them, not warmer.
I would very much think about replacing the heater.

Yeah, I probably will replace it.. but with which.. I'd rather not have a glass again if I can avoid it..
I thought about one of those titanium heaters.

it looks like it is the heater, with it turned to the lowest setting, the lowest the temp gets without the light on is 80.3. When earlier with the mh on and no fan with the heater out it got to 78.3 so i guess i need to get a new heater.

Get a good one, Titanium heater, temp probe and controller. They are worth it, I like the JBJ True temp others like Ebo (I think). Glass heaters are notorius for not working and having faulty thermostats. The JBJ heaters are a little $$, but I think they are worth it. They come with all the bells and whistles, even mag holders. Just becareful, some are selling JBJ controllers with NOT JBJ heaters! Phinnex or something

Good luck

Did you double check with another thermometer?? :confused: 84F in a room 63 is crazy!!! Either a stuck heater as mentioned or bad thermometer I'm thinking. I like to keep my temp between 78F -82F at most. If you rise above that, I think it is how fast it get there that really is the problem. A gradual rise and it may not affect the corals as much as jumping to 84 in a matter of minutes. Good luck finding the problem! Maybe toss some frozen ice bottles in your sump in the meantime to help bring the temp down. :)

yeah I have two of the same thermometer and the thermostate on the heater must be crap, Have to go find a new heater today.

I've never been able to put my trust in any heater... RKL all the way.

Heaters are illegal in the Bahamas :lol:. Wouldn't know where to begin with buying one. The climate is just too hot here to even consider using one much less needing one LOL.

Via aqua titanium heater run by a controller is what we trust....After a tank crash due to a failing heater i would never use a heater without some sort of controller again... I would avoid glass as well ...Just my 2 cents!!! Shane

If only I had the extra 100+ for the rkl. work injuries don't even pay 60% of what i was making =\ might just go with the aqua via.

Back