How importent would you say a DI is?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
My water here in ballard is about 30 in TDS. One guy at the LFS says a R/O isn't even nessecary. I don't buy that, as my pipes are probably older then him.

But I am still having trouble picking out an R/O unit. I have narrowed it down somewhat to these: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...roduct_Code=PR-RO50&Category_Code=Premiumreef

or with DI :
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=PR-RODI50&Category_Code=Premiumreef

But I am comtemplating not getting a DI, as I can add it later and right now I would rather not pay the extra money. However, if others think its a no brainer to get it now then my mind could easily changed. Opinions?

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

I trust these guys, you seem to have good quality but if something ever happened to slightly change that you would be happy to have the complete unit. Your advantage is you won't need to replace filters as frequently as most but you still need it just as much IMO! Your purifying water in more ways then one, not just TDS but any other potential problems will also be removed, highly recommend one. Call these guys & let them find out the details of your water quality from the municipal supplier, they must provide that information on a yearly bases, the filter guys can then provide you with your best options for making pure water! JMO:)

Why do you think you would need a second DI? In most cases it isn't necessary, why spend money on something you most probably won't need. That is why you should get that data, you may not need to replace the DI resin for a very long time. On the other hand it is cheap for all you get.

I come from the stand point that water filtration (RO/DI) is the first step in the many steps we take to make our water as pure as possible. For me, it's not worth compromise. I run a dual DI myself. If the second DI is truly unnecessary, then it won't be consumed, so what's the worry. Furthermore, it will start making a difference when your first DI is expended, long before any retail grade TDS meter will be able to read the difference. Call it a safety net.

I come from the stand point that water filtration (RO/DI) is the first step in the many steps we take to make our water as pure as possible. For me, it's not worth compromise. I run a dual DI myself. If the second DI is truly unnecessary, then it won't be consumed, so what's the worry. Furthermore, it will start making a difference when your first DI is expended, long before any retail grade TDS meter will be able to read the difference. Call it a safety net.

If you use the color changing Di you would replace it even before then & you don't need to replace any filter until you get anything above "0" TDS otherwise your wasting filters.

well ok (getting out one of my dull logic tools) Say you were getting water in Santa Barbara and it had "percolated through a sand filter is that not as good as RO/DI filtration?

Well what you have to think about is what is added to the water by the source and the pipes along the way. I live in Elk Grove Ca and our water has alot of minerals in it and high nitrates, even with an ro filter I used for drinking water the nitrates were at 15 so I invested in a ro/di and have things at 0.

I got that R/O unit that sherman posted. I am very pleased. Came assembled very well, all parts were quality. Does over 100 GPD, was doing about 5 gallons per hour.

This water is so blue sitting in the bucket its amazing!

Maybe the one Scooterman posted? I didn't post one. :)

Either way, good job. I just recently finally purchased my own RO/DI also. It's so nice not to have to rely on keeping track of 5g jugs any more, just run over to the 48g trashcan and get all the water I need at any time!

Back