How Long Can you Have LR Out of Water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snowboarda42

Cirrhitichthys falco
How Long can you have your LR out of water before it has the potential to create a cycle/mini-cycle? I'm adding a sump and need to drain ~1/2 of the water to move the tank. Unfortunately my rocks are glued to rods going through them...

Hours should be not much of a problem, Bacteria on LR will always have "Mini Cycles" that is how they adjust to varying Bio-loads!

wet news paper

just leave moist news paper over it.If you are draining half the tank than just leave it in that water.

It won't be more than 10 minutes (famous last words), so I think I'll just try for it.

BTW, wont the ink and chemicals from the newspaper hurt anything?

I have received dry shipped corals that were out of the water for over a day and did fine. Perhaps the paper is toxic, but me thinks that the pages with black ink are more benign. Guess unprinted kraft paper would be safer or some white silk

If your doing minutes don't worry, LR & corals will stay out of water for hours during a low tide, this little time should be no harm.

It won't be more than 10 minutes (famous last words), so I think I'll just try for it.

BTW, wont the ink and chemicals from the newspaper hurt anything?

I believe regular newspaper with black ink is no problem. The paper is all wood products and the ink is vegetable based. The colored inserts are a different story, the shiny paper (coated) is chemically treated and the color inks are not all vegetable based.

I believe regular newspaper with black ink is no problem. The paper is all wood products and the ink is vegetable based. The colored inserts are a different story, the shiny paper (coated) is chemically treated and the color inks are not all vegetable based.

cool info krisfal, do you have a paer route or something???

lol

Actually I work for a forest products company:)

But this information I learned from gardening. I use newspaper under my mulch as a weed blocker.

Go buy a 45 gallon brute trash can.. stick all your rock and most your water in there... don't move your tank with water in it!!!!!! I moved mine with 2 inches of water above the sand line and it really scared me. :)

I have heard that to be true about the sponges also Chris but i have had all of my LR out of water for an hour plus and still have sponges everywhere.

Back