How long do cleaner shrimp live?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

I've had my pair of scarlet cleaner shrimp for a couple of years now and one died last night. How long do these shrimp live in the wild and in captivity? Do they live longer in the wild?

are you sure that it didnt molt?
i have no idea how long they live but atleast several years...

matt

yes, i have seen the pair molt about 6 times a year for almost 2 years now. i am looking at the dead body in front of me. it looks like he may have tried to molt but died half-way through. or it may just be his body is decomposing and it only looks like he was attempting to molt. either way its dead. i recall reading a few years ago that they typically live only about 2 years but I can't find this data anymore. how long have you guys had your cleaner shrimp alive in your tanks?

Last edited:
I have a cleaner shrimp, a coral banded shrimp (creep) and a fire shrimp that I have had since I set my tank up (a little over a year now).

:oops:

Mines been with be for about a year and a half, and it was thru the worst of things (initial tank setup/cycling). My CBS has doubled in body size 2" by 1/2" at the thickest. My Cleaner is skinny but bigger than when I have him too. I get so paranoid when I see a molt. I always look for the two sets of antennaes coming out from the back of the rockwork to confirm it's just a molt and not a dead shrimp. They are so cool. I would be as bummed as you if I were to lose them too.

That's funny, that's exactly how I can tell if mine's still alive.

Mines been with be for about a year and a half, and it was thru the worst of things (initial tank setup/cycling). My CBS has doubled in body size 2" by 1/2" at the thickest. My Cleaner is skinny but bigger than when I have him too. I get so paranoid when I see a molt. I always look for the two sets of antennaes coming out from the back of the rockwork to confirm it's just a molt and not a dead shrimp. They are so cool. I would be as bummed as you if I were to lose them too.

Back