How long will an AGA 180Gal tank last?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cdamiano

I am considering purchasing a used (approx. 6 yrs old) 180 Gallon AGA tank. Does anyone know how long this type of tank will last under normal conditions before having to worry about some type of issue with it leaking due to some type of problem with the silicone or the braces, etc.?

Is it safe to assume that I can get another 10-15+ years out of it or is it recommended to replace it after a certain amount of years?

Have any of you had tanks for a long period of time?

i cant speak for 180"s in particular but i have an old...i mean OLD(like over 20yrs) 29 all-glass that has a chip in it and is missing some trim, but still holds water fine. in all my days of having tanks and working in the industry i have only seen aga 10g leak with any type of remote consistency.

Well, we had the misfortune of having a bottom seal blow out in our all-glass 120..But i will say...they warrantied out the tank with no questions...Unfortunatly with having such a tramatic move for the fish..They all got ick and died...But...I got another all glass reef ready tank and feel i just had a case of bad luck!!

Sorry to resurrect the dead thread.

It has been my expereince, that the 10Gallons and the 55 Gallon AGA tanks are the worst. They are the most massed produced, and I have heard that they aren't built by hand anymore, but by a machine or machines.

Doran

Back