how long.....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pickles

meow
Does it take for new corals to attach? Where is the best place to place Xenia...sand or on live rock? Obviously I am new to all this!

you cant place it on the sand it wont attach, put it on a rock and in front of some sort of circulation or it will die

How long it takes any coral to attach varies a lot, depending on type of coral, method of attachment, water quality, how happy the coral is.....

As for Xenia, there's a few methods that work well. Some pinch it between a couple pieces of rock or rubble rock, other use "bridal veil" to drape over it and tie it down. The method I use, which works great for me, with all soft corals...is to use a wooden or plastic toothpick, push it right through the flesh and then poke it into a hole in your live rock or a piece of rubble. Then break off the toothpick close to the coral, leaving the small portion that goes through the coral and into the rock. After a couple of days, the soft coral will start to attach. Once it's totally attached, you can pull the toothpick out. I've even had Xenia and Kenya Tree grow right around the wooden toothpick.

that is also how i recently attached xenia...about 2 weeks ago it was several chopped off stalks, put em on a toothpick like a kabob and now they are attached to the rock

Back