How many clowns in a tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

y2says

I have a 72gal corner reef with 2 clowns, 1 psuedo, 1 pink spot goby, and 1 coral beauty. My parents are moving and I will be selling their tank, but they have two nice size (2") clowns that I don't want to get rid of. What do you think if I were to add them to my tank. I don't my bio load out of whack, but will they be O.K. with the other two? What are your guy's opinions?

Only a pair is all you can keep. How big are your existing clowns? You might be able to get away with it if they are small. But they will fight to the death when they get larger. Clowns are the worst, I had a pair that would beat the crap out of all new fish (non-clowns). After they killed the second one, they found a new home. :)

I respectfully disagree with Burke. I may end up being wrong but I think your fine to add them. A great safety precaution would be to rearrange the existing clowns 'home' though. I have had 3 pairs of clowns and they are terrible when it comes to new fish...of nearly any species really! I had a pair that killed a yellow tang because they thought the entire tank was there's! But if your worried about it just change your rock work...worse comes to worst and it doesn't work out you can deal with it then and just take them out.

I forgot...make sure that the pairs are noticably different sizes though! There are tanks out there with 10-20 clownfish...it's just how you do it! The best was is to introduce them all at once...but fish have the memory of...a fish! Haha...so you can simply rearrange the rock work and they thing they are in a completely different world!

I moved the thread over to Lee's forum to see what his recommendation is. Would be nice to get his take on things as well. :)

My parent's clowns are larger than the ones I have now. However, after doing some considerations, I'll probably end up selling them. My tank has been doing fine and I don't want anything to mess it up right now. I just hate to let them go.

Back