How many fish can I have in a 32 gallon?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I already have a blue linkia thats been in my tank for months and hes doing great! I alson have hermits and there doing great aswell. Now that ive heard your opinions ill scrap the mandarin goby. But I was thinking of getting a jaw fish. What do you guys think? I don't mind getting more sand if I need it.

Marinegeek,

If you decide to place a tang in your 32gal tank (which I do not recomend), it will be for a short period of time and will eventually need to go to a larger tank.

"I already have a blue linkia thats been in my tank for months and hes doing great! "
Unfortunetly within 9 months he will no longer be in your tank =\

Well what are your opinions on a blue jawfish for my size tank????????????

Last edited:
Can anyone answer my question! "Well what are your opinions on a blue jawfish for my size tank????????????"

yeh i would say great for the jawfish and yes sailfin tangs are the biggest but it takes a few years to get big man and i had my sail fin in a 32 and i have never seen him happyer obviously u cant keep it in there when its huge but who would im consider a small false yellow tang for my 30 i have at presnt 2 maroon clowns a falco hawk fish and a false royal gramma and there all happy i KNOW maroons get big but thats not gonna be for along while id put a lion fish in my 32 if i wasnt so worried about getting killed from a posion sting while re aquascaping or maintaining pump
i have a six armed lankina star by the way

THanks, I would like too know what other fish could I get and that you recommend that are fun to look and reef safe? Please reply as soon as possible

I am in the same boat as you marine geek. I have a 40 gallon tank and have been struggling to find a neat looking fish that wont outgrown my tank and doesnt have a difficult feeding requirment(I.e. only eats pods like mandarins). From what I have found I am pretty limited.
I dont have a deep fine sand bed, so Im passing on the blennies and jawfish that require that.
I dont have a fuge so pod eaters are out like the mandarin and msot wrasse.
I dont like the aggressive nature of damsels, royal gammas, and psuedo chromis.
I dont want to limit myself to a small school of only chromis.
Angels, tangs and foxface all get too big or require too much grazing/swimming room.
Just about every other fish out there that would work I rule out because they dont get along with inverts, or may pick on LPS.

Not much too choose from for this size Im afraid, atleast in my situation =\ Right now I have a rainfords goby(Yes I have some nusiance hair algae for him) and a helfrici firefish. Those will probably be it for the fish untill I get a bigger tank. Just focusing on the corals for now.

Gl with whatever you choose and I too hope soemone else comes up with an interesting fish to check out. Ive run out of ideas.

hmm have you doods look at the carpenter flasher wrasse ?

i have a 37 gal tank and i lost my six line about a week or so ago and now i'm planning on replacing him with some other fish in about 2 months from now :p .
i've seen the carpenter wrasse and i think it's a very neat little fish :), it gives you the look of an anthias :p .

Most wrasse live on micro crustaceans in the wild. You can add them but they will clear you out of pods, feather dusters, spagheti worms, etc. Not a huge deal to most, but I like my dusters and worms. If you havent gotten them to eat prepared foods by the time they run out of crustaceans in your display... then you know what happens.

I was looking through Scott Michael's "Reef aquarium fishes" pocket guide and the "flasher" wrasse do indeed fit the profile we are looking for. According to the book they are peacefull, stay small, and usually adapt to aquarium life and prepared foods. They and are not a threat to inverts, crustaceans or coral. Unfortunetly there was only pictures of males in the book, which leads me to believe that the females are not as colorful. Either way, they are certainly a group worth investigating further. The pictures in the book were stunning.

From the looks of what your saying your tank is already loaded more than it can handle, even though everything is doing great right now, it will show up in time, I would be careful in adding more to your tank.

How did it die? Cause I was thinking of getting one.

I can't really tell because when we first started moving into our new house the only person who was feeding the fishes was the husband and he'd do it once a week or so ( i used to feed them daily), then i made the mistake of not curing the bucket i used for filling my tank with water (not trying to blame things :p) and when we finally were all moved into the house, i saw that he was looking skinny but swimming fine, then all of a sudden one day he was hiding and didn't wanna come out and just when i was about to recue him... my crab ate him :( .... i believe he was sick right from when we started moving but who knows... everything happened sort of fast and the crab just happened to be in at the right time .

I was looking through Scott Michael's "Reef aquarium fishes" pocket guide and the "flasher" wrasse do indeed fit the profile we are looking for. According to the book they are peacefull, stay small, and usually adapt to aquarium life and prepared foods. They and are not a threat to inverts, crustaceans or coral. Unfortunetly there was only pictures of males in the book, which leads me to believe that the females are not as colorful. Either way, they are certainly a group worth investigating further. The pictures in the book were stunning.

yeah they're very very pretty fishes if you ask me (and i'm picky :p) ... i believe the female has a blueish color on the head but i could be wrong.
i read that if they're kept in schools they can "flash" whatever that means :lol: .

From the looks of what your saying your tank is already loaded more than it can handle, even though everything is doing great right now, it will show up in time, I would be careful in adding more to your tank.

i agree with Scooter dood, i wouldn't just dump a fish in my tank .... for me i usually wait about 3 months before putting a new fish and after the new fish i wait hmmm about 7 months (not that you need to wait that long :p).
my six line was the last fish i added and that was about 2 years ago .

The only other thing that I would add is that most flasher wrasses including the carpenter wrasse are jumpers. So make sure you have a tight fitting canopy. I would say most of the deaths to the flasher wrasse group occurs due to jumping out of the tank.

Kirk

Back