How many fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

oldsalty

I have a 55 gallon tank and i wanted too put a small scopas tang, three firefish, 3 green chromis, a sixline wrasse, and two tank bred occelaris clown fish, is that too much or could i have more? I will have a few corals but nothing difficult. but i only hae a big hang on power filter. Help apreciated

Last edited:
I think that might be to much(IMO) depending on how much rock you will have in there. You need to have good hiding places but not so much that they hide from each other and you never see them. Your tang although not one of the larger ones will still probably get to the 6-8" range. But then again if your 55 is the 4' type you could be alright...lol. I have a 65g tall with 6 fish and it looks to crowded to me ...lol...I'll shut up now :D

jake

I would just say that having the Tang in there is a little iffy even if it was a yellow tang which require the least amount of space. Why not try a Centropyge instead of the tang which are just as cool. I also would say that the rest of your stocking is fine, but I would like to know what your skimmer situation is because low nitrates are very important in reef systems and a powerful skimmer is a step in the right direction.

Goodluck

Adding these fish at the same time isn't a good idea IMO. You want your bacteria levels to adjust to the bio-load so it has to be done slowly otherwise you could get an ammonia spike. Are you quarantining the fish before introduction to the main tank ? How long has the tank been setup ? How much LR do you have ? What skimmer are you using ?

The general guideline in SW is 1" of adult size fish for every 5 gal so you would be way over that with the amount of fish your planning and would need excellent filtration such as powerful skimmer and hope you don't get a power outage as the oxygen levels would be quickly depleted.

cheeks69 said:
Adding these fish at the same time isn't a good idea IMO. You want your bacteria levels to adjust to the bio-load so it has to be done slowly otherwise you could get an ammonia spike. Are you quarantining the fish before introduction to the main tank ? How long has the tank been setup ? How much LR do you have ? What skimmer are you using ?

The general guideline in SW is 1" of adult size fish for every 5 gal so you would be way over that with the amount of fish your planning and would need excellent filtration such as powerful skimmer and hope you don't get a power outage as the oxygen levels would be quickly depleted.

Well said. Personally I would not put a tang in there and 6 fish would be the limit. My husband wants us to have a yellow tang--but realistically we just don't have the tank space. I plan on using this to talk him into getting me a larger tank to switch everything into a few months down the road. I have already told him that I will not have two tanks--I go nuts just trying to manage one.

For a quarateen tank one of those mini bows that are 5-10 gallons would work really well.

I would also ask you to consider adding a couple of live decorative macro algeas to help with nutrient uptake in the tank. Would also help add oxygen to the water as well on top of adding some color and decoration to the tank.

Anne

oldsalty said:
How do i make a quarintine tank?

Like I said if you go to Petsmart or Wal Mart (assuming that you have one of those where you are located--if not--whatever the equivalent would be) and purchase one of those 5-10 gallon minibows that already have a light and filter with it. They tend to be pretty inexpensive (especially since you don't have to buy all of the equipment with it). Once you get your water and substrate in it, you can take a couple of pieces of uninteresting live rock from your tank and put it in there. At least this is what I intend to do-it keeps it rather simple. You may need to get a different light for it--not sure.

Anne

Shouldn't use rock or anyking of substrate in a QT. In fact nothing sorbant of anykind that cannot be tossed away easily. If meds or escpecially copper are needed, these items will interfere with the treatment. Biomedia should be chemically inert. A bare bottom will also make it much easier to syphon up detritus and leftover foods.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/quarantinetanks.html

Cheers
Steve

A small tang in a 55g tank will be fine. The Yellow tang in my dad's 40g tank has been there since March of 94. He is still about 2" in size. His color is great, he is fat and healthy and he is small.

In all my years in the hobby I have never seen a tang that has physically outgrown a tank.

In my own 225g I have 6 blue hippos. The dominant tang is the only one that grows large. The others are as much as 50% smaller (they have been together for years - oldest hippos about 8 yrs).

I have a purple tang in the tank (10 years now) who is large - 5-6" but not massive. There are 3 other purple that have been in the tank for up to 6 years and they are 1/2 the size of the large purple.

And the pair of yellow tangs (probably 7 years old) are only about 4" in size.

Dave B

It is always such a touchy subject about tangs, it's nice to hear someone who has experienced the other side of the argument. I was told that Bristletooth Tangs are ones best suited for sub-75 gallon tanks, so I got a Kole for my 65 who is about 4". I doubt he will get much larger than this even though they "can" grow to 8"+. People of RC will still give me crap and such, but he has plenty of LR to graze on and hid in. If you really want a Tang for your 55, I think your best bet to just get a small one and you should be fine. Even though the Bristletooth Tangs aren't the most colorful (Chevron is cool, but $$$), check 'em out and consider one for your tank. I really like mine. Here is a picture of Kole (I know, not very creative).
Kole2.jpg

The Yellow tang in my dad's 40g tank has been there since March of 94. He is still about 2" in size. His color is great, he is fat and healthy and he is small.

That is very small for a YT. Maybe the myth that small tanks stunt growth is true.

The recent article in RK magazine about the Regal Tang mentions that they can take up to 8 years before they reach their adult size or even longer. Is it possible that the smaller Hippos you have maybe females therefore explaining the smaller size ?

Jeremy from the Coral Reef Aquarium has a Unicorn Tang that he bought as a juvenile and in 2 Years he's 12" + and a couple of Vlamingii Tangs that are enourmous. I have seen very large Tangs in captivity since juveniles. Do they reach their full adult size in captivity ? Probably not but it gets close in some cases.

It is not that they will not survive in a tank that is small for them, it just stunts their growth, as o2manyfish (ironic?) case, which results in a drastically shorter life span. Why would anyone want to intentionally cut short the lifespan of a fish. I think that it is either ignorance or just flagrant disregard for responsible fish keeping. There is no reason for any type of tang to be kept in a tank smaller than 75 gallons at the minimum. There are plenty of cool fish that do not require the swimming room that the tangs require. I just urge everyone to be responsible and not exploit this freedom.

Thanks

Last edited:
Cheeks,

When the lights turn on later this evening I will look under the Hippos fins and see if they are boys are girls.

From my experience, one hippo is the dominant or largest fish. About 3 years ago I lost my previous largest Hippo. In less than 3 weeks one of the other hippos had almost doubled in size and became the largest hippo. And now 3 years later there is still only one large hippo.

Dave B

o2manyfish said:
Regal,

Shorter lifespan... These fish are still swimming... The yellow tang has been in the tank for over 11 years...

Dave B

Eleven years in captivity is very impressive ! Tangs can live for several decades in the wild.

steve-s said:
Shouldn't use rock or anyking of substrate in a QT. In fact nothing sorbant of anykind that cannot be tossed away easily. If meds or escpecially copper are needed, these items will interfere with the treatment. Biomedia should be chemically inert. A bare bottom will also make it much easier to syphon up detritus and leftover foods.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/quarantinetanks.html

Cheers
Steve
Thanks for the heads up. :eek:)

Anne

Found the link :)

What is known from keeping these fish in aquariums smaller than several hundred gallons is that the end result is a fish with stunted growth. The extent of the growth stunt is directly proportionate to the aquarium size. Following Choat and Axe (1996) and the understanding that Acanthurids obtain 80% of their growth in their first 15% of life, you can get an idea of how fast they should be growing in your aquarium. Combine this with an expected 35 years of age per Acanthurid (Chaot and Axe, 1996), we come up with 80% growth obtained in 5.25 years. Let's take this a step further and plug in the expected maximum size for Paracanthurus hepatus, roughly 12". After doing the math you should get the answer of Paracanthurus hepatus obtaining 9.6 inches at 5.25 years of age. Following the same reference, which states the first 80% growth is fairly consistent, you can take it yet one step farther to learn that your Paracanthurus hepatus should be 1.8 inches after the first year, and continue to grow nearly two inches every year from then until five years of age, where their growth will slow and nearly stop, at which time it should be nearly ten inches. You could also use this same formula when trying to obtain an age of a newly imported specimen.

Identity Crisis – What’s My Name? Paracanthurus hepatus

Back