how many fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Welcome to Reef Frontiers! I think your question depends on the size of the fish you are interested in, and how compatible they are Do you have particular fish in mind? Will you also have live rock?

Also depends on the type of fish....Predatory fish will produce more waste than grazing fish, which will produce more waste than planktivores, etc...

Like Nikki said, do you have a particular fish in mind?

Nick

What are you using for filtration? PLease give us the full specs on your tank...
filtration, skimmer, all equipment etc...water parameters, how long the tank has been set up....

Nick

its got a fluval 404 external fillter and a undergravel powerd by 3 big power heads its about 3 month old going to get protine skimer soon

Are you setting up a Fish Only (FO) or a reef system?

Nick

Hey Shezz,
I cant really give you any hard, fast numbers for the fish population you can keep in your tank, for the reason's Nikki and I mentioned above, (size of fish, predatory or not etc...), what I can do is give you a loose kind of guideline....
The guideline is this.....one inch of fish for every 5 gallons of water in the tank. So in a 55 gallon tank, your looking at being able to keep 11 inches of fish. Another guideline for you is to look at the max size a fish is going to get, and make sure you have at least 6 times that max size for the fish to be in for the tank. For example, if you are looking at fish that gets to be 12 inches in lenghth, it shouldnt be housed in a tank any smaller than 6 feet in length.

Make sense?

Nick

Back