Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 4-6 gallons

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • 6-10 gallons

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • more than 10 gallons

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters
In my 210 reef I was loosing 10 gallons plus a week. I have since set up an autotopoff and now I don't have to mess with it. It's set up and runs thru my ro/di unit. So much nicer.

In my 210 reef I was loosing 10 gallons plus a week. I have since set up an autotopoff and now I don't have to mess with it. It's set up and runs thru my ro/di unit. So much nicer.

That's what I need to do! I added lots more flow and different lights to my tank, and I lose at least 3-5 gallons per day now.

In the summer , when its quite hot and the exhaust is running ,the most I have lost is 115.7 gallons in one 24 hour period .

i think i lose under a gallon a week on my 46, probably closer to 1/2 gallon. have a glass lid to keep the jumpers in, so that cuts the evaporation down quite a bit.

I'm at around 2.5 gallons a week for my 10 gallon, it's probably been more the last month with this warmer weather. I've been doing manual top offs along with the auto when we start to get a little on the low side.

My 180G w/ 33G sump was losing about 3 Gallons a day. So 21 Gallons a week. My 100G was about the same although it was in the garage and the summer heat turned it into a sauna so some days evaporated more than others.

I loose about one on my Nano tank! There is so much humidity down here we keep the a/c cranked up, that sucks out a lot of moisture.

Taking all my tanks into consideration, total accumulative tank volume is 380-385 gals, they evaperate approx 35 gal per week.

Since this got bumped . . .

My original post was 4-5 gallons a day on my 400+ gallon system, that was with metal halide lighting. I switched to LED in April and am down to about 1 1/2 gallons a day!

My original post was 4-5 gallons a day on my 400+ gallon system, that was with metal halide lighting. I switched to LED in April and am down to about 1 1/2 gallons a day!

Thats a big difference. Should save some decent money over the course of a year.

Don

That's just insane!!! How are your corals doing under the new lights? All well so far? :)

The coral and anemones are all doing great. The 3 SPS I have that survived the coral melt down last summer are growing so rapidly I am considering getting more (I had sworn off SPS last summer as the losses were just too expensive . . .)

The newest software for the LEDs has lightning storms, not practicle but really cool, so we have a lightning storm in the living room every evening at 9:30pm

Besides the fact that the LEDs are much cooler and result in less evaporation, I also had to remove one of the two fans from the sump to keep the tank from getting too cool, so that also help reduce evaporation

Last edited:
The coral and anemones are all doing great. The 3 SPS I have that survived the coral melt down last summer are growing so rapidly I am considering getting more (I had sworn off SPS last summer as the losses were just too expensive . . .)

The newest software for the LEDs has lightning storms, not practicle but really cool, so we have a lightning storm in the living room every evening at 9:30pm

Besides the fact that the LEDs are much cooler and result in less evaporation, I also had to remove one of the two fans from the sump to keep the tank from getting too cool, so that also help reduce evaporation

That's some good stuff!! Glad your SPS are doing well and you hadn't written them off! I'll have to keep an eye out for your thread to see your updates with the new lights if you add any. :)

Yeah Consumption is drastically less than with MH. Even with 16 cu ft of exposed water surface I go through 3-5 a day.

Back