how many holes for non-rr 120

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmkins

Hi all,

I got an email from a friend who is buying a non reefready120 and the seller is willing to drill it for him. He wanted to know how many holes to drill for overflows and to run a closed loop.

I dont have any experience with larger tanks or plumbing so I told him to check some of the forums. I was wondering if anyone here had any opinions on how many holes and where he should have drilled.

He is looking to start an sps tank.

TIA,
Matt

i would start with 2 and 2.2 for overflows and 2 for returns.if i had my way on a 120 id do 2 overflows and 4 returns.good luck.

two inlets for clossed loop and 4 outlets for CL
and like Kieth said 2 overflows and two returns.

SO 10 total.

On a 120 gallon tank I would have them drill two holes near each back corner big enough for 1-1/2" bulkhead fittings. I personaly wouldn't have any holes drilled for returns. I like to plumb my returns over the top with pvc.You can make your overflow boxes smaller if you don't have to deal with another bulkhead fitting. Plus it also eliminates one more potentual leak.
Unless like some that have really cool peninsula tanks and you have to run your returns in the overflow box. :)

On a 120 gallon tank I would have them drill two holes near each back corner big enough for 1-1/2" bulkhead fittings. I personaly wouldn't have any holes drilled for returns. I like to plumb my returns over the top with pvc.You can make your overflow boxes smaller if you don't have to deal with another bulkhead fitting. Plus it also eliminates one more potentual leak.
Unless like some that have really cool peninsula tanks and you have to run your returns in the overflow box. :)
AAWWW you so nice. LOL

I can attest to this!! If you are dealing with glass just do the one 2.5'' hole for a 1.5'' bulk head for your drain and run the return over the back. I drilled 2 holes next to each other on the bottom glass and it cracked between the holes after I did some dumb stuff but that is a long story. CL is not for me sorry can't help there.

With all the products out there today there is no real reason to have a closed loop. IMO

So many wave makers that you can move the water around just find without a big bulky pump. I was going to have a closed loop and I changed my design just run the K7 for the length of the tank and my returns will go side to side. If I need it I will add sea swirls on the return line. When my coral grow out and block the flow I will add another wave maker as needed.

The good and the bad.

Closed Loop
Good - Less cords to deal with.
Bad - lots of extra plumbing, uses a lot of electricity single point of failure using one pump.

Wave makers
Good - no single point of failure, can add more if needed, some you can adjust the flow, no extra plumbing needed
Bad - extra cords to plug in

As far as holes for drain and return, are you going to have overflow boxes added to your tank and drill from bottom or are you thinking of just drilling the back top of your tank. Remember 1 1/2" over flow is rated between 600 to 1200 GPH.

On my 300 I have a Mag12 (1200 GPH) return pump and it was pushing the limits of my overflow. To help I made the pump feed the refugium which cut it down to about 1100 GPH and it is still pushing it. I really need to add another 1 1/2" to cut down on splashing and noise. Just not sure I want to do that just yet.

Hope this helps

" for returns. I like to plumb my returns over the top with pvc"

I,ve Done this for years :)

Ever notice how many sps reefes have Tunze's or Vortech's !!!

This way no holes and Lot's of flow !!!

I Preffer them over an O.M. unless you have it hooked up to a M.B.V. but it is still allot more electricity and I don't know about M.B.V. maintenance .

But Running anything in Calcium over 400 for any length of time leads to calcification and then you MIGHT have problems opening and closing your ballvalves !!!

Paul

Back