how many times u feed fish during a week?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

supamarine

do u feed ur fish (ie clownfish) once every 2 dayss?? also wat good fishes are their that get along with clownfishes and are preeti..(Besides damsel and mandarin).

Well I only have 3 fish in my tank but I feed them every morning around 8am. They dont let anything hit the bottom because my clown and yellow tail damsel attack the food as soon as it hits the water and after a few seconds and the food starts to drift my firefish takes care of the tiny pieces. Even if the food does hit the bottom there's over 20 crabs there ready to finish off everything else. :)

I have 5 fish and I feed them 2 times a day.(Everything in my tank is getting to big to fast) I only had my anemone for a month and a half and its splitting in to 2 anemones. :eek:

I have 16 fish and feed 2-3 times a day. I just see how much they eat in about 3-min and adjust from there.

How big is your tank? Its a good idea to know that before people will recommend fish for it.
Thanks Dave

Good Lord! You guys feed a lot! You dont have problems with overfeeding? When I used to feed that often my tank got Cyanobacteria, Hair algae, and other pest algaes...

Feeding your fish every 2 days would probably be fine. If you haven't been doing this already, then wean them to every second day from what you are currently doing (i.e. if you feed 2x a day, switch to once a day, etc).

Dave brought up a good point for fish recommendations. Let us know how big your tank is, and any other plans for livestock.....corals, other inverts, fish etc. That way the fish most compatible for your system can be recommended.

JPloman said:
Good Lord! You guys feed a lot! You dont have problems with overfeeding? When I used to feed that often my tank got Cyanobacteria, Hair algae, and other pest algaes...

I only feed what the fish will eat and keep a close eye to make sure they are eating it I guess if you just dump a bunch of feed in there and they don't eat it all you could have the problem. I also have a very big skimmer :lol: and a few of my fish need to eat more than once in a while. My friend only feeds every other day and it works so far. I love my fish and corals. I have read about the problems with fish not living as long in captive enviroments and trying to do everything I can to give them as natual as I can.

BIG SKIMMERS RULE :lol:

Dave

Having efficient equipment is definately a plus. Ensuring what is fed to the fish is fully consumed is only ½ the consideration though. What goes in must also come out. While the fish may consume everything, the waste produced may easily one day exceed the tanks ability to deal with it. If what you do now works without adverse effects it's all good for the most part. Just something to keep in the back of your mind as the "community" grows. :cool:

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Having efficient equipment is definately a plus. Ensuring what is fed to the fish is fully consumed is only ½ the consideration though. What goes in must also come out. While the fish may consume everything, the waste produced may easily one day exceed the tanks ability to deal with it. If what you do now works without adverse effects it's all good for the most part. Just something to keep in the back of your mind as the "community" grows. :cool:

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve for the po po story :lol: great info. have a good one.

Thanks Dave

I feed my fish 2 x daily. You see fish grazing all day long on the reef and my foxface, tang and copperband check the rock all day long but fish need to eat. Obviously you don't feed enough to sit on the bottom but fish need to be fed and I do that.

I have a genicanthus that is supposed to be fed quite frequently but she makes it on 2 meals a day.

I do find this a toss up, if your tank is of average size, feeding can be a problem, fish eat & fish Poop what they eat. Too much can be a problem, too less also can also not be a good thing. I know fish usually eat whenever they can get food, but if you do feed daily, you must make up for it by cleaning, vacuuming up also, so your husbandry will have to be adjusted accordingly. I like feeding but I won't feed them until they pop because they will eat so fast that they will suck up everything I throw in there until they do pop lol, I feed the mush every three days, in between nori, & a little spectrum pellets but not much of either.

supamarine - what species are they? I only feed mine once a day or once every other day, but they have a lot of live rock to pick from. As Steve-S indicated, fish waste is something that has to be dealt with, as is excess food. Find the balance with what works for your system. If algae becomes problematic, then food can be one source of excess nutrients to look at as a probable cause.

Elmo - how many times a day do you feed the baby clowns?

I have seahorses which don't have stomachs since they snick a shrimp every hour or so in nature. I can't feed a little bit every hour, so had been feeding once a day at dinnertime. They were healthy and running around okay. But when I recently started coming home for lunch everyday and now feed twice a day (noon-thirty and 11pm), some of my very mature Brazilian seahorses quickly doubled in size. They were just at a maintenance level before. Most fish are not this specialized, but you might try light but more frequent feedings with other fish. The response was very quick in my case, and is continuing (they are reputed to grow to 12", wow!).

Back