How Many Use Tap Water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

moortim said:
Now we are going back onto what works for one person does not work for another..........

Which I see as one of the more frustrating parts of this hobby.

This has been an interesting thread so far, One of the things I like about this site is that even well seasoned pro's can exchange information and experience with out talking down to those of us who are new and eager to learn all aspects of reef keeping :cool: I think people loose credibility when they think their way is the only "right" way and if people do things different they are wrong. What works for one may not work for the next guy and statements like "I only do things this way and it works, therefore, anyone who does it different is wrong" I don't see that much here on RF and I think that makes this site stand apart from other popular Reef Cites but that's just my opinion

Last edited:
KRMNAL1 said:
This has been an interesting thread so far, One of the things I like about this site is that even well seasoned pro's can exchange information and experience with out talking down to those of us who are new and eager to learn all aspects of reef keeping :cool: I think people loose credibility when they think their way is the only "right" way and if people do things different they are wrong. What works for one may not work for the next guy and statements like "I only do things this way and it works, therefore, anyone who does it different is wrong" I don't see that much here on RF and I think that makes this site stand apart from other popular Reef Cites but that's just my opinion

I agree.. IMO.. :)

If everybody did everything the same way and didn't have different opinions, oh what a boring place this would be! :)

Fishead77 said:
If everybody did everything the same way and didn't have different opinions, oh what a boring place this would be! :)

I am sure that at least one time when we were all beginning our first salt tank we had a moment when we thought "why can't this be more simple!" Probably when we were trying to decide what kind of lights, skimmer, substrate, salt brand, whatever. Every once in a while I have wished there was just one solid way of doing something.
Now that I have been in this for a while, I think the opposite is true. I like all the options and diversity, when there are a million different ways of doing everything it doesn't ever get boring. I don't think we would be as addicted to this hobby as we are without the depth it has.

Tim

copepod said:
The problem I see with that is, a TDS meter doesn't really mean much. I have one and I have a 5 stage rodi unit. Coming out of the unit is 0 ppm. But if I let the water sit it somehow will register some on the TDS. 035 So that means it is picking stuff up in the bucket?

Probably. Water isn't called the "Universal Solvent" by scientists for no reason. Stripped water (i.e. Distilled or RO/DI) water is even more effective than regular water at bringing things into solution. For instance, the plasticizers used to make many trash cans and buckets leach phosphates and other things into the water. That's why it's a good idea to store stripped water in Food Grade containers like Brute trash cans vs regular trash cans. On most plastic items, you can determine the "leachability" by looking at the number inside the recycling mark. The lower the number inside the triangle, the better. Here's a web page that shows the different types. Plastic Recycling Codes.

There might not be a difference where you live. However, in other places, there could be a huge difference.

It's going to vary greatly between water systems. I have a buddy in Reno, NV that has very low TDS coming out of the tap with only Chlorine (not chloramines). I get 325~425 TDS out of the tap with chloramines added. (Yes, it varies that much). Another friend of mine in Indiana gets 550 TDS out of her tap.

Chloramines are dangerous to reef tanks. You can off-gas the Chlorine easily by mixing overnight or by using products like Prime. However, chloramines are a combo of Chlorine and Ammonium. The Chlorine dissipates but the Ammonia remains.

New Comer here,
Have found the posts very interesting. I have a four month old reef tank of 55 gallongs with a few shrooms, an anemone, brain coral, feather duster, some horn coral and of course the chromis, the tangs, and a clever cleaner shrimp. I have been purchasing my salt water (ten gallons) from the local pet store at .70/gal about every month. I also obtain my freshwater for topping off there at .60/gal. I am considering whether it would be wise to obtain a ro/di system and to mix my own saltwater. Reading the above posts have helped me alot. The tank appears to be doing well right now. I have even tried putting in some mangrove to control nitrate levels (nitrite going at .50 ppm, nitrate at 10 ppm). tank not stressing at this point however I am concerned.
Any feedback would be great. Will attempt to upload pic of tank in near future.
Tony

New Comer here,
Have found the posts very interesting. I have a four month old reef tank of 55 gallongs with a few shrooms, an anemone, brain coral, feather duster, some horn coral and of course the chromis, the tangs, and a clever cleaner shrimp. I have been purchasing my salt water (ten gallons) from the local pet store at .70/gal about every month. I also obtain my freshwater for topping off there at .60/gal. I am considering whether it would be wise to obtain a ro/di system and to mix my own saltwater. Reading the above posts have helped me alot. The tank appears to be doing well right now. I have even tried putting in some mangrove to control nitrate levels (nitrite going at .50 ppm, nitrate at 10 ppm). tank not stressing at this point however I am concerned.
Any feedback would be great. Will attempt to upload pic of tank in near future.
Tony

Mangroves grow to slow to accomplish much. Really you need to know what your tap tds is. I really doubt that you would see anything but positive results with a rodi purchase.

Don

I think the best way to put it is nobody would recommend tap water over RODI. While person A has great water right out of the tap, person B may not. I think it should kinda be a universal understanding that tap water is a no-no. Not saying it may not work for some people, but it WILL NOT work for ALL people. Its up to the reefer to decide what risks they are willing to take. I personally drove the the grocery store and did the 5 gallon fill up every time I needed top-off and change water. I later purchased a RO/DI and its made water changes less dreadful. My feeling is this, with so many different things that CAN (not saying WILL) go wrong, or cause problems, try to make things as simple as possible. RODI can cross iron, copper, and other junk right off your lists of pollutants that can poison a tank. Then you can direct your energy and focus on other aspects of maintaining an environment where not only will coral and fish survive, but thrive.

Last edited:
I used tap water for the first year and a half on my current tank. I switched to RO/DI in an attempt to combat bryopsis. It had no effect. I've noticed no change in my system since switching to RO/DI. My tap water is pretty clean, though. Last time I checked the TDS was around 31.

We currently use tap water and are having a terrible time with algae....Red slime and hair algae....But what is the best way to switch from Tap to r/o water ??We have two tanks totaling 150 gallons......Where is the best place to get Quality waters??... thanks!!

Currently seeing if I can get a ro/di unit which I can adapt to a 30-50 gallon plastic trashcan wherein I can also put in a heater with a air stone and/or powerhead for mixing saltwater for tank. Will keep every one up to date.

Back