How many watts per gallon in lighting?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

porksoda

Nano-Reefer
Well i have a 55 gallon tank and i would like to have soft corals in my tank but right now i am running NO lights (normal output) on it now and i would like to know how many watts per gallon do i need for softies and how do i figure out the watts per gallon well thanks later,

porksoda

You should use at least T5's, preferably halides. I think the beginning light range is between 3 - 5 watts per gallon. I have 2 X 250's on my 55, plus some actinics.

Bainic is right. Invest in the best light you can and then clean the reflectors. I have a 55 gallon and am running 96 PC plus 96 PC 50/50 retrofit and my softies are doing great and I am getting by with 3 monti C. frags plus fish are spawning. I run the lights about 9 hours. I run a tiny refugium 4 hours on an alternating basis.

Hope this helps.

If your only planning to keep soft corals & a few LPS you can get by easily with T5's or VHO's for lighting, no use running a MH unless you have higher plans later but you must consider the cost if you do want to get into higher light demanding corals. With that said the harder to keep corals require much different needs, better water quality, more flow, higher light, & at some point you'll maintain CA, MG & ALK. If you stick to the easier corals, without MH you can do very well, keep power consumption down, less added heat which can be a big factor.

I agree with Scooty, you do not need halide lighting "if" you are going to keep soft corals. It's basically overkill. I had a 55g before I got my 180g and I ran 2 NO bulbs and had mushrooms, green bubble, colt, a leather. I don't recommend it but that tank did very well for me with that lighting. The watts per gallon rule is not a good indicator due to all the differing lighting options now.

i wouldnt say it is no use to run halides on a softys tank u can get awsome growth and have a lush softy tank quicker
but i do run 4 no bulbs on a 30 gallon and have done so before on a 50 gallon
if ur gonna upgrade ur light just get the halide u wouldnt be un-happy with this choice

porksoda, didn't you have a major heat issue just a while back?? How did things go for you after that??

yeah i had a really bad heat issue. lol. One of my heaters broke and went one high and boiled my tank. But ever thing is good now i am working on getting new lighting now.

Well how does this sound there is a guy that i am talking to and is selling 2 retro kits of powercompacts and one is 2 65 watt pcs and the other is 1 65 watt powercompact and the dual fixture is 10ks and the 1 light fixture is an actinic. Will that be ok for some softies?

also i was thinking of buying another ballast to run one more powercompact. This guy is wants to sell me these 2 retro kits for 75 bucks that sound ok? Well thanks ya

This could be a good buy or not really worth your money, one thing I'd ask is how old are the lamps? If you need to replace the lamps then you may be better off going with a new retro T5 set-up. Personally I don't like PC's, they get hot & don't give out the best light for the power used but, if your on a tight budget they will work. If you retro T5's you can start off with just two & two good reflectors & then later upgrade to two more.

Back