How much clicking do Pistol Shrimp do?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OCDreefer

Mine was driving me crazy last night... It wouldn't stop! I swear my last one wasn't this bad!

I agree, some times I wake up at night thinking the tank is falling through the floor, or something crazy like that. It never is just the little 3" pistol shrip two rooms over making a rucus at 3am.

Yea I don't know what to do. My tanks in my bedroom and it drove my girl friend crazy! (and she drove me crazy)

I agree, some times I wake up at night thinking the tank is falling through the floor, or something crazy like that. It never is just the little 3" pistol shrip two rooms over making a rucus at 3am.

Does he click all though the night? Or just a little here and there?

I have had mine for over a year and only heard him twice!!
Pistol shrimp click/knock only when they are hunting food or very affraid.. so either he's trying to snipe off something alive in your tank or something is freaking him out!

BTW do some reading on the pistol shrimps actual snap and it is so intense it will stun smaller shrimp into paralisis..

So I found the cause of the massive amount of clicking... Little bastard and his fish found their way into my overflow. So there is now where for him to hide. Didn't have time to get him out.... Hopefully they will make it tell I get home again.

There you go.. he was stressed out..
Like I said if you hear them ALOT they are either hunting/killing. or stressed out!
Glad you figured it out.. Good luck with them.BTW get some gutter guard and put it over the teeth of your overflow to prevent this happening again..

OCDreffer, I maybe hear him 2-3 times at night, and maybe a little more during the day not enough to make me regret picking him up. He does scare me sometimes when I hear that sound, and think "Oh know what just happened!" then I run out with a flashlight to see that everything is ok, go figure.

Good thread. I am looking to get one of these guys. Luckily for a the tank that's in my living room. Are they hard to pair up with a watchman goby?

I have a Pistol Shrimp/Yellow Watchman Goby. They paired up within a day or two of being introduced to the tank.

Mine paired within 3 hours and they were in completely different spots in the tank when i put them in. Now i can't get them away from each other.

Back