how much is too much?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

billaweed

Stumped Irishman
I have a 50 gallon tank with 3 damsels, 1 turb snail, and 1 hermit crab. I have a Prizm (hang-on) 100 Skimmer. When will I know when I've over done my live stock (fish and cleaners).

And I have the brown algae on the rock in the middle of my tank. Its hard to think that i'm over feeding, because I feed 1 pinch of flakes to the fish ever 3-4 days and they fourage the rest feeding on natural stuff in the tank. I only put 10 drops of Kents Chromeplex the same time I feed my fish. So would that be too much for what I have in my tank or is it "poopy" from my live stck that is causing it?

Brandon

Your limits will depend on the type fish you stock. How old is the tank?

how old is your tank?
if it's not to old, then the brown algae could be diatoms which is ok, it'll go away slowly.
you do wanna soak your food in a little bit of RO water... to rinse it off so you don't dump phosphates in your tank.
now for your 50, i'd say that you got plenty of room for a few more fishes..just don't go buying them and dumping them in your tank right away, you should add fishes slowly.
for your clean up crew, you need more than 1 snail dood.... i believe more like at least 20 :p... or something around that since they're good at eating algae.
crabs... hmmm some people don't like them because they eat snails :p and because sometimes they go nipping at corals so i'd say 1 is plenty :p:D.
could you post your water parameters ?
I believe prizm skimmers are not that good.... i used to have one for my 37 and it never really got a lot of skimmate :doubt: .

I also have some brown stuff on my rock and sand, my tank is only 2 months old, is that because its new? Could it be the same stuff as billaweed has, if so how long does it take to get rid of? Sorry billaweed for asking my own questions but i needed to know, thanks.

Hmmm... well, you definitely don't have "too much" livestock right now... And it doesn't sound like you are overfeeding... How old is the setup? If it is relatively new, the brown stuff is pretty normal.

Hmmm... well, you definitely don't have "too much" livestock right now... And it doesn't sound like you are overfeeding... How old is the setup? If it is relatively new, the brown stuff is pretty normal.

well the tank is only about 2-2.5 months old, but the thing is, is that I had the brown algae on the bottom real bad while it was cycling and it went away. For at least a month my tank was clean and no algae anywhere, but now all the sudden its coming back. I did move the lights closer to the water but I dont know if that has anything to do with it and that is about the time it really started coming in.

I'll get some more cleaners.. Also! My Turbo Snail poops like crazy, well at least that is what it appears to be coming out of his/her shell. Does your guys' snails do the same? Is that poop coming out or?

Brandon

I do have some powerheads.. i have on set up at both ends, so two total. One is blowing accross the bottom and the other is in the middle.. I plan on getting one more set up at the top.

I'd say that two is pretty good thought. Or am I wrong?

what kind of powerheads? maxi jets or other kind?
i say that because you want to have strong flow in your tank and for a 50 gal, i'd say that you need more than just 2 powerheads :p:).

Also I just remembered that I put two peppermint shrimp in my tank to eat the aiptasia. They may have died because I no longer see them anymore.

Could it be that my tank is just going through another cycle because of it?

i don't know how powerful are the Rios (i hope someone can tell you better).

look for your shrimps, if they're dead they could give you a little bit of ammonia ....loike i said your tank is young so you COULD be having another cycle ...but not sure dood.

i agree with burning ...you are also gonna need a better skimmer (i consider prizms for nanos).

Id consiter it for target practice.... but

i dont think a shrimp, unless its like the words biggest shrimp, would cause a cycle...

but in combo with a young system, a under produceing skimmer... a lack of LR and Light.

could be

It seems to be doing ok.. A little algae on the bottom still, but about the same as before when i started the thread..

Now my question is for you guys is this. I understand now that prizm skimmers are not that great, BUT I only have 3 fish (damsels). So is my skimmer really effecting things that much? I could understand if my tank had a few tanks in it and clowns that a skimmer would be a big deal, but with only 3 damsels and 4 snails is it helping that much.?

let me know.. And thanks for the replys so far! I do really appreciate it. Helps my NOOBIENESS out..

Brandon

Back