How much is your electricity bills.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That would probably be best in conjunction with tankless water heaters for bathrooms and kitchen. The two big "wastes" in a conventional water heater are 1) the heat loss to the surrounding air while no hot water is being used, and 2) heat loss in long pipe runs.
Some of this wasted energy is recovered when the heat loss results in reduced household heating needs in cooler months, but water heaters and pipes in unheated areas are just energy losses.

Very good point. In South East Asia, tankless water heaters are very popular. Here, its just starting to pick up... also now they have the propane version and electric version....

Does anybody have experiences with the electric version of those tankless water heaters? How much? and where did you bought it?

I've had electric ones installed since 1998. Back then, I had to install two units together in order to get enough water (combination of water flow and amount of heating) for a shower. The units are installed in the vanity, under the sink.

More recently I have installed a Seisco tankless heater in the vacation house for some friends. The units are larger now, so only a single heater was required. They are also more sophisticated (built-in maximum temperature control, etc.). They still use a lot of electricity. Two 40- (or 50-, can't remember) amp, 220V circuits. But they only use the electricity when the water is running.

I like them. But you have to make sure you have the necessary electric service capacity.

So I have quite a bit of experience with electric whole house water heater:

Mine utilizes a 125amp breaker at the main, and 100 amp sub-panel. I have 400 amp service so this is not a problem for me. Older and smaller homes can have 100 - 200 amp service as standard, so this is your first area of research, as Don mentioned.

My tankless is smaller than a briefcase and built to be installed either in-wall or surface mount. Chamber material is important IMO so make sure you look for very high quality internal parts. I would also recommend a large high quality sediment filter mounted to clean incoming water to extend the life of your heater.

My unit measures incoming water temp. and only uses enough electricity to get the water up to your set outgoing temp. This is an upgrade option over many that are just full on when in operation. Because I can set the exact temp. the water leaves the heater, there is an added benefit that you are not heating water and then mixing it with cold at the tap to get the right temp. With tankless heaters, there is a correlation between volume and temp. so you can turn the volume down to get hotter water, whithin the set temp. range.

You are welcome to visit and see this unit in action. One major cautionary comment: These do not save money. While it may never need to be replaced in my life time, once family members get used to the idea that there is an endless supply of hot water, they tend to take very long showers. If you live by yourself, then you could probably realize a cost savings, and we did for the first couple of months. It took $25 off my monthly bill during the honeymoon phase.

I combined this install with appliances that heat their own water, and by purchasing a high end tankless heater, there is no real competition. Two people can shower while any of the other appliances are running, and that is a great convenience.

For those living in small homes, there is a space gain as well. Instead of a water tank closet, you could have another clothes closet or more room in the garage. Old style water heaters are designed to fail. Good quality tankless heaters are designed to last forever.

HTH!!

One major cautionary comment: These do not save money. While it may never need to be replaced in my life time, once family members get used to the idea that there is an endless supply of hot water, they tend to take very long showers.

There isn't by chance a gender-related issue concerning whether or not you save money, is there???

One major cautionary comment: These do not save money. While it may never need to be replaced in my life time, once family members get used to the idea that there is an endless supply of hot water, they tend to take very long showers.

Bet she has a lot to say about energy wasted on the fish tank stuff

If you live by yourself, then you could probably realize a cost savings, and we did for the first couple of months.
Families change everything

It took $25 off my monthly bill during the honeymoon phase.

Save water, Share the shower.

Well, guess the honeymoon is over:lol::lol:

very interesting guys... keep your ideas coming....

25 dollars... thats it? hmm i was thinking of some dramatic changes or something... like say 100 dollars....

When we share the shower, they can last an hour. :eek:

Actually, it's my ten-year-old son that likes to take long showers. Strangest thing. It takes an act of me to get him in, and then he refuses to come out.

Herefishyfishy: She doesn't have anything to say about the energy used for the fish tank, since I don't let her see the bills or use the check book. :shock:

I remember back in the 70's we had to share showers, run the water into a bucket and all that dribble. I was 13 and had to shower with my parents' best friends' daughter. Nowadays that would be considered some sort of crime, but back then we were still coming out of the 60's. I enjoyed it very much.

When we share the shower, they can last an hour.
Now that sounds like bragging...

Actually, it's my ten-year-old son that likes to take long showers. Strangest thing. It takes an act of me to get him in, and then he refuses to come out.

That is what the breaker box is for. One quick flip, and the shower will end.

I put the tankless heaters in at home when I put in a second bathroom. Original bathroom (kids' bathroom) still runs off of the conventional water heater. But the bathroom off the master bedroom has the tankless. Instant hot in the shower, and instant hot for shaving.

not bragging. it's the only place we can hide. lock the bedroom door. lock the bathroom door. nothing but the sound of water to drown out the banging on the bedroom door. it's a strange peace but I'll take it.

I have thought about getting one to use with a hot tub too.

Our highest bill has only been $160. Normally in the winter it is $140 and during the summer is around $90. Our house is 1,000sf, we have the one 125 gal tank AND we heat our mud room in the winter for our dogs.

ok guys im making improvement here. From my old computation which is my

February. 2460 KWH used. $231.24 paid. Thats 538KWH in a week.
already water heater element (2) thermostat turned way down.

Experiment 1 (1 week).
Shut off all baseboards/built in heaters in the whole house.
470KWH used in that week.
$202.14 dollars in a month

Experiment 2 (1 week).
Shut off water heater breaker from 11:00pm (before sleeping) and turn back on at 4:00 pm the next day. So its on for 7 hours.
410 KWH used in that week.
$176.15 dollars in a month

Experiment 3 (on going)
Water heater breaker turned on 24/7
But, gate valve going in of water heater turned down to minimum. Way down as trickle. But still enough to use it in shower specially in the morning.

Will report back this coming Sat.... stay tune.

Last edited:
Mar 21 - April 21: Last year

2080kwh 2240kwh
avg temp 42deg 48deg
avg kwh use/day 71.7 77.2

$184.03

Different light regimen with the MH.

wow...that is sweet Dan.

This Year Last Year
Days 32 32
KWH 5980 5406
avg/day 187 169
Temp. 42F 43F

$569.93

I guess you're not heating your house with halides eh? :eek:

My power bills have been ok I guess wish they were lower... (doesn't everyone)

Last month's power bill for me was $119.41 KWH used 1354
Month before that $151.21 KWH used 1685

I live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1234sq ft. 2 story home with in-wall electric heat
I have a 75gal & 20gal tanks running also

Yeah, it's like a couch every month. That's down $80 from the previous month. You must have gas or something. I can't imagine you doing that well in that old joint without some gas or heating oil, especially on the water. And I have a heat pump...

Back