How much weight can my floor support?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If you're gonna be around this weekend, I could probably take a quick look under your place. It would have to be Sunday, but let me know the time when you'd be around and I could be there. To be honest I'm sure everything would be fine. If everything looks fine and you still want to reinforce it, I can take measurements so you can get what you need to get.

yeah that would be awsome im sure we will end up doing it anyways the boyfriend is paranoid. I will be around sunday just shoot me a pm with a time and what kind of beer ya like.

Last edited:
Well we have decided to re-inforce the floor (Just to be safe) any one around Tacoma any good at it or have any tips?

You can totally do it yourself......that is if you don't mind crawling in the crawlspace while dragging bags of cement :D seriously, pretty easy, I put 4 4x4's under my tank took about 6 hours and one long shower after wards.

I had a floor contractor instructing me online. I can send you the thread if you want.

if your house is 1962 its a lot stronger than any new house. Back then they didn't cut corners. My house is 1969 and not a single crack, hasn't moved an inch since then.

I think if it is possible to put the tank perpendicular to the floor joists, then you should be perfectly fine.

I cant do it im a whimpy 100lb girl and the boyfriend has bad back so he cant do it hence me asking for some one to do it or at lest help me do it! lol

I know it can be done i am just thinking of long term effects it might have and also if there is a earthqauke.

That thread might be helpful!

If you read that thread I linked, just about any floor that meets the minimuim code should be able to handle a 125 gallong tank as long as its placed along a load bearring wall. I have a 125G tank + 20 g sump in my third floor apartment.

Peace

House that old I'd be also concerned about electrical needs! ;) That is probably going to be the biggest issue!

Find a contractor & have him inspect the flooring & the location of your tank & give him the amount of load your going to have, I'm sure the inspection will be well worth it.

The electical has all been re done! Whew thank goodness didnt even think about that!

Guys, I don't think it's down to whether she needs to reinforce the floor, she's already decided on that. As far as electrical, I can take a look at your panel. No, I'm not a licensed contractor or electrician, but my whole family is in construction and I used to be. As1720, if you still would like me to come over and take a look, let me know. This stuff is much easier then everyone seems to be making it out to be.

Again i understand that the floors may not NEED to be re enforced but for our peace of mind we would like to do it. Better safe then sorry. If the wall we want to put it on is not the safest we will re enforce it, if it is a good wall we might not.

As for the electrical it was re done a couple years ago. Dont know why just know it was.

I reinforced my floor before adding my tank as well. It is located along a load bearing and perpendicular to the floor joists. I had similar feels of just wanting to do it for the better safe than sorry priniciple. I doubled up all the joists under the tank and added a 4x6 beam with 4x4 posts. My biggest challenge was getting the lumber into the crawlspace through my access hole in a closet :p

Honestly IMO, I am screaming IT IS A 100 GALLON TANK! Any floor should handle the weight EASY unless you can put wheels on it and even then it just might hold it.

Look at it this way get 5 - 200 pound men (or women) and have them stand in that one spot next to the wall. Now ask yourself do you feel safe with only 5 people standing in that area. If you do then relax about the tank.

Since the tank is spread out pretty even across the floor with the stand and what not you are a lot better off then the 5 people standing there.

look at it this way.
100 gal of water ABOUT 800 pounds
ABOUT 100 pounds live rock
tank stand and sump ABOUT 100 pounds.

So you will be at ABOUT 1000 to 1200 pounds for your fish tank.

Dead weight running WITH the joist (on the average) can handle 50 PSF (Pounds per Square Foot) Remember this is the tank running WITH the joist not across them. When you set the tank up to cross over the joist you inceasing but up to 4 times. So the way I understand it 200 pounds per square foot. If you tank is 4' X 2' that is 8 SQF times 200 is 1600 pounds so you are well under what the most common floor joist are rated.

Hope this helps

Salty i get the point really i do! But AGAIN its the whole better safe then sorry, and the whole what if this or that and also it doesnt hurt! Its not going to be that big of a deal.

And to be honest dont shoot the mesenger its not me i agree with you guys and i am willing to take your advice but its not my house. If the boyfriend says he wants extra support i kinda have to go along with it and help get it done or im not going to have my 100 gal fish tank up and running till he gets what he wants. I was hoping i didnt have to put him on the spot like that but ya know better him then me. lol
Im not as hard headed i get the point but no matter how much i try to get him to see it he wont. Picture the shirt with the arrow pointing and under it says im with dumba$$....guess who is wearing the shirt not him!

You're exactly right Salty. At my house, I've got a 125 sitting parallel to the joists. It is on an outside wall, it's about a 2 feet away from a corner and a 6x6 support beam is running about 2 feet away from it on the other side, and it's just fine. I was thinking about running a 4x4 bisecting it to another 2 joists just to take a bit of the weight off, but I'm not really concerned.

The only thing I'm gonna look for is if the joists they want the tank on are parallel or perpendicular and whether they have any dry rot or termite damage. Even if it's parallel, chances are it will be sitting on 2 joists and should be no problem. If it's perpendicular, even better. If he still wants extra support, I take measurements, they buy it and I'll throw it under there for them. Either way, no skin off my back and no change from anyone's pocketbook but theirs so this thread should be dead from here on out.

Salty i get the point really i do! But AGAIN its the whole better safe then sorry, and the whole what if this or that and also it doesnt hurt! Its not going to be that big of a deal.

And to be honest dont shoot the mesenger its not me i agree with you guys and i am willing to take your advice but its not my house. If the boyfriend says he wants extra support i kinda have to go along with it and help get it done or im not going to have my 100 gal fish tank up and running till he gets what he wants. I was hoping i didnt have to put him on the spot like that but ya know better him then me. lol
Im not as hard headed i get the point but no matter how much i try to get him to see it he wont. Picture the shirt with the arrow pointing and under it says im with dumba$$....guess who is wearing the shirt not him!

No I get you are trying to be safe and I think that is great, please do not take it the wrong way. i was more screaming at the fact everyone seems to be an expert and coming up with a huge solution for a very small issue.

It has is almost on the verge of a disagreement rather then everyone just doing simple homework with building / housing codes. This of course makes your project even harder on you and your boyfriend.

There is nothing wrong with over building but why waste money on something that is already overkill for what you are looking to do. Best to save the money and buy quality equipment.

You're exactly right Salty. At my house, I've got a 125 sitting parallel to the joists. It is on an outside wall, it's about a 2 feet away from a corner and a 6x6 support beam is running about 2 feet away from it on the other side, and it's just fine. I was thinking about running a 4x4 bisecting it to another 2 joists just to take a bit of the weight off, but I'm not really concerned.

I have a 300 gallon tank with a soild oak stand, canopy, and a 60 gallon sump running parallel on the second floor of my house. This has been there since last year. Before that I had my 240 all glass with a pine stand for 3 years. I have not noticed a change in my flooringone bit.

I know I am pushing it with the 300 and it is my goal to put in a beam but I was told by an engineer with my short span I really do not need it. My goal is by July to have it in.

Back