• Monthly

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Never

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

glweek

I blow my rocks off every night before i go to bed and was wondering if this was beneficial or not. Ive heard its good to on occasion but is every night excessive? Should i let the live rock do its job and not blow them off for a few weeks, months...ever?

I voted yearly, but it would be more like twice a year. LR does collect detritous and it is good to clean it off occasionally. Stay in the hobby 8-10 years. I can guarantee you won't have your hands in the tank every night.

I do mine before the water change as mentioned above but I change out 5% every week and replace sock, clean skimmer cup

I 'try' to do mine before water change, and I'm on a biweekly water change schedule (doesn't fit the poll params, so I'll go back and hit monthly in a minute, because that would be closest to 'reality') It doesn't always happen because sometimes I rush through changes as I have other things to get done. I also have bubble algae and aiptasia that I beat back on the same schedule. Its not a lot, but keeping them in check consistently is what keeps it that way, kind of like weeding the garden. I don't run a sock full time, but I do run one from the time I start my water change until sometime the next day, just to catch the stuff I stir. Sometimes I see almost nothing, or just mostly sand, sometimes I see more. When I see more, I check myself on feedings, and that is more of what I use it for... to make sure I'm keeping myself in check. With three tanks in the house, I thaw frozen in a 20oz bottle for all the tanks, and 'distribute' it from there.. so, its the same amount each time, it just doesn't always get distributed the same.
(note, if you are going to do something similar, and use kalk paste or something similar for the aip's, syphon the kalk before you start blowing off the rocks :)

Back