how to care for goniopora?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hello,
The typical response to lack of nutrition is that the polyps extend shorter and shorter over a period of 6-12 months until they are flush with the skeleton. Then the tissue begins to slowly recede from the substrate up until there is just a skeleton.

The signs of good nutrition are increase in size and additional new small polyps forming between the longer older polyps. Under the right conditions they can grow quite rapidly, doubling in size every six months or so. IME this coral can do quite well under rather low light and flow conditions.

Cheers,
Kevin

Hello,
The typical response to lack of nutrition is that the polyps extend shorter and shorter over a period of 6-12 months until they are flush with the skeleton. Then the tissue begins to slowly recede from the substrate up until there is just a skeleton.

The signs of good nutrition are increase in size and additional new small polyps forming between the longer older polyps. Under the right conditions they can grow quite rapidly, doubling in size every six months or so. IME this coral can do quite well under rather low light and flow conditions.

Cheers,
Kevin

thanks kevin,
so theyre just gonna grow right,they dont encrust like some lps do?thanks for the info i will let everyone know and give updates if theres anything that i need to know later on..:) thank u

They can bud off daughter colonies but they do not encrust. The largest skeleton I've seen is about the size of a softball.

Regards,
Kevin

Back