How to catch a clown

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seedlessinseattle

Hello everyone I need some ideas on how to catch a clown,
Long story short, had 4 clowns , 2 adults and 2 babies, well 1 of the babies went to heaven, so now I have 3, and the babie clown is not a baby anymore, so he is tryng to steal the girfriend from adult clown he he he, and my buddy N1husker is got a single clown, so I been tryng to catch him but no luck so far, give some ideas, thanks for reading

red light at night or cut the top off a bottle put the top in backwards secure it to bottle put in food. the fish will swim in and cant get out may take some time tho.

I have done the pop bottle secured to the wall with the mag float, but my clowns are such pigs I think I could put food in a net and they would go in to get it.GL

Okay, here is how you do it Carlos, remove the coral, live rock and most of the water, corner him and presto, caught. Or you can try the bottle trick, I don't think it will work as I have seen him and I don't think he will stray too far from his dream girl. It's not food he's after. I think they are some of the harder fish to catch, they have big eyes, see well and only move from their 5" square area unless you put in a net. Let me know if I can be of any help. That is, more help than I have been now, LOL,

Carlos, don't they like hanging in the frogspawn? If you put a piece of that in the trap I loaned you and the three of them followed the frogspawn, then you you could take the little guy out and put the rest back. Might work, just trying to think of different ideas.

I use a net at night. Works like a charm, fish can't see the net when the lights are out :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I use a net at night. Works like a charm, fish can't see the net when the lights are out :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

The problem he is having is, he has a lot of live rock and corals and at night, the clowns go hide to go to sleep and he can't figure out where they go. He also isn't home a lot because he works 7 days a week at 2 jobs, so he only has a minimal amount of time to try and catch the little bugger. I loaned him my trap, which I got lucky with and caught my gold stripe maroon clown but he isn't having much success with that. I even have an acrylic mirror in the trap hoping that might draw him in, but no luck. It's great for catching tangs. When I tried catching my clown, I could have caught my tang about 50 times.

When I was trying to catch a certain fish I did all feeding in a net for a few days. After a couple days all the fish got use to the net and watched for it as a food source.

Thanks everyone for the great info and ideas, I will try some tonite and see what happens. One of these days Earl, I'm pretty sure I will catch him eventually and will let you know when I do

The food in the net sounds like fun, I will start that today, he he he. Poor little orange fishy don't know what is coming is way

Hey Earl fish trap works great for yellow tang and wrasse, they hang in all day long, I could catch them 500 times by now

Yes, I know about the catching the tangs and wrasse's, it's a great trap for that. The food in the net sounds like it might work. Going to require patience, but I know you have plenty of that. If you are successful, just let me know and I will swing over and get the little guy. If you need help or cheering section, let me know.

I will say the food in a net does not work for demon bristletooth tangs though. But even my wary maroon clowns will go in the net for food now.

I will say the food in a net does not work for demon bristletooth tangs though. But even my wary maroon clowns will go in the net for food now.

He is just trying to catch a little ocelaris clown, then give it to me. The trap works great for tangs.

Just keep feeding with just the net and sooner or later he will see the other clowns eating and nothing bad and go for it.

My luck with traps is I catch every fish other then the one I'm after 50 times or more until I get the one I want. I did have a tang that I would pull out of the trap and he would swim right back into it with in 30 seconds of me putting it back in the tank. I think we done that dance about 20 times in one day.

Back