How to control zoos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I added several types of zoos last year, now they are taking over the tank. Is there any way to control them besides killing them? They are taking over many of the rocks.

Jim

I just pull and scrape mine off. It damages them but they are hardy. Some algae scrapers work.

I agree, with the 1st 2 responses. If they are cool or unique, scrape them off carefully and glue the healthy zoo's to some frag plugs and sell them.

I added several types of zoos last year, now they are taking over the tank. Is there any way to control them besides killing them? They are taking over many of the rocks.

Jim

I am looking for bright colored zoes if you end up having any frags..

I've had pretty good luck using frag cutters and just cutting a thin slice of rock underneath the zoa mats to remove/frag them.

There is many ways to cut your zoas some people use razor blades,dremels..I love my bandsaw..keeping the rock with the zoa keeps it healthy and easy to deal with..i always make sure when I get a new frag I put it on a rock that i can easily remove for cutting..never put on permanent liverock or it is too hard to mess with..i like it that way too in case u need to treat them if a disease hits them and you do not want them to spread to other colonies..lots of precautions have to be take when messing with zoas..read up on it..

There is many ways to cut your zoas some people use razor blades,dremels..I love my bandsaw..keeping the rock with the zoa keeps it healthy and easy to deal with..i always make sure when I get a new frag I put it on a rock that i can easily remove for cutting..never put on permanent liverock or it is too hard to mess with..i like it that way too in case u need to treat them if a disease hits them and you do not want them to spread to other colonies..lots of precautions have to be take when messing with zoas..read up on it..

I agree with this.

Unfortunately, they have spread to my display rocks in huge mats. Seems like a great problem to have, but they are getting out of control.

I found this out by accident but it sure worked. I was/am using a Majano Wand to help me rid my tank of some pesky shrooms. When I accidentally touched a couple of near by zoas. To my surprise the zoas just loosened themselves from the rock and floated away. Dead or alive I don't know but the ease of which they came off was enlightening to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

No, not ugly. Some eagle eyes and I don't know the other names. They are just covering a number of rocks and encroaching on some SPS.

I find it pretty easy to take a hammer and chisel and chip off the rock. You end up with thin chips of rock with zoas on top, or a pile of live rock rubble:oops: This also makes frags to trade for more zoas :)

Back