How to deal with Power Outages...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

stuntkiteflyer

Go fly a kite
Hi everyone. I am really loving the salt water hobby. Anyway with all the storms we've been starting to get, and then the memory of last winter still fresh in my memory i was wondering how to keep my tanks alive (and relativly) happy in case the power goes out. I have thought about a generator, however I can't leave it on all the time. So I was wondering what you all would suggest from what type of generator to just a hope and a prayer (though I would like more of a chance then that).

I have a 24 and a 34 gallon tank.

Generator's are good, although they can be noisy. Look into a power inverter, they run off your car's battery, so you'll have to have it run for a while.

A good thing to have is THIS battery backup air pump. It plugs in and has an internal battery that kicks the pump on when the power goes out, automatically. It will keep water movement going in your tank. Another option is to get a battery backup for a computer (bigger the better) and use it. It stays plugged in all the time and is automatic as well. Depending on whats plugged in, it will usually stay on for a long time, also depending on model.

I've used a number of ways to keep my tank warm. One way was to take my MSR camping stove and heat water up from my tank and pour it back in (slowly). I've also heard people taking tupperware containers, putting a little water in and some Prestone Driveway Heat, putting the lid on and floating it in the tank. You can also use a wooden spoon or your hand to stir the tank around and keep the water going stagnant. Although, you have to do it often to be effective.

Another way to keep things warmer for longer(if it's only a few hours) is to wrap the tanks in quilts. As many as you can to keep them insulated.

Generator

Power outages are usually short lived. Yes they are noisy but you will not be running it for weeks on in.
OR
you can get the quiet Honda ones big enough to run your pumps and heat that you will never be bothered by.

There are a few generators that are very quiet.
I just bought a Yahmaha generator large enough to take care of my tanks that runs at a decibel rating of 47-52.

I have a larger generator that I have wired into my house that is very loud, so in the past I have usually turned it off at midnight and then fired back up at around 6am.
As long as the house stays warm, the tanks stay warm also. A few blankets over the top help. And a couple battery powered air pumps with air stones keep a small amount of water movement.

Another thumbs up for the Ecoline of Honda generators... very quiet.

But two of these kept me going last winter:

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/204/p/1/pt/32/product.asp

I've got a 46g, and it kept 2x 100W heaters and a couple powerheads going for about 8-10 hours before giving out. They make a bigger one now I see... the PowerSource 1800. Looks big though.

Either way... wrap the tank completely with comforters and blankets to keep as much heat in as you can.

The heaters wear your battery down way quicker. Best to run just the circulation, and cover the tank in blankets. Having a low temp dip isnt nearly as bad as lack of oxygen.

Last Year I used an inverter to run the system (and the fridge) And it worked ok, but
I needed to have it hooked up to the car most of the time to get some real power
out of it.

I went out and bought myself a birthday present this summer (Honda EU-2000) so
I don't need the inverter (and batteries) any more. If your interested in buying it
from me, we can make a deal. Send me a PM if your interested.

Jack

I regularly use just an old car battery and an inverter - while it is not automatic and you need to switch it over - it works - Of course, all I plug in is my return pump to keep oxygen and water circulating - no lights or anything - lights arent really needed. Sometimes th clouds come out in nature too :)

I have a Korilla 3 plugged into a APC 1500 computer back up battery and it runs the pump for 5-6 hours and it does come on automaticly. I have a gas generator for long term outages. Just this week a breaker kicked off while I was at work and the power to the tank was off for 7-8 hours, if the UPC had not kept the Korilla running most of the day, the results might have been aloe worst than just a 72 degree tank. Got breaker reset and had no casualities

I use a UPS as well and an aquacontroller 3. My reason is that I want it to work if I am not home. I can also tell remotely when I lost power.

Thats Shmucks for ya

:) They are replacing the promo one with one that is still 2 cycle made by champion that is supposed to be a decent generator especially for the cost. I dont think I would want to mix two cycle but it is cheap and would work. He said the champions are starting to go on the shelf already so just check the manufacturer. They also have a Lp one but its closer to $600 on promo.

Don

I worked at, and was a manager at a schuck's for some time, and probably 1/3 of the generators that we sold came back with defects. So if you get one there, check it and run it for some time to make sure it works properly. They're gone as soon as the power goes out.

I like the idea of generators but I don't have that much money for one. Has anyone seen the battery powered pumps anywhere around the sound?

Back