How to deal with Power Outages...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I like the idea of generators but I don't have that much money for one. Has anyone seen the battery powered pumps anywhere around the sound?

Bilge pumps. Surflo pirrana's have the lowest amp draw. Passive systems are just a matter of prefference,budget and space. Each has its own set of draw backs but most can be overcome with a little enginuity.

Don

I have the champion 5000 watt version for 240 bucks because of coupons. I have the 4 stroke though. I think not bad and heard good reviews with this version. Also this one from schucks.

Check the local news paper or craigslist for used genorators. My dad just picked up a 6500watt from an older man that could no longer used it for 450 and it came with the 240 genorator plug that you can wire into the pannel witch is another 100 dollar setup. I think its a briggs and straton or honda motor they work awsome and are very quite. but the little EU 1000 hondas would be perf for most of our tanks. Yamaha wouldnt be a bad choice either.

We just had power outages here in the SF bay area..
Running car + power inverter + 100' extension cord = 1 happy tank for 8 hours.

A little too complicated though (and expensive with gas @ 3.50/gal). I need to pick up a UPS : )

UPS will only last you up to certain limit. You are still better off with your current setup right now. I only suggest that you maximize the pottential of your 3.50/gal by upgrading to a more powerful inverter. I do the same with two 700 watt inverters. enough to run 400 watt of heater and two pumps and so fluorescent lights for family use.

Back