how to frag a chalice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reedman

Any advice on how to frag a chalice? I have one that I would like to frag but am not sure how to go about it.

Thanks,
-Reed

Im not positive but I think some use a tile saw, others use a belt saw. I havent done either but I think returnofsid has done so.

dremmel works too
the heat from the cutting device needs to be kept down so have a dish of water to help keep heat down.

man this sounds like a hassle...lol

hammer and chisel won't do the trick? hmmmmmmm

Thanks for the advice. May not be fragging this thing after all.

I think the goal is minimal tissue damage as it might start to recede. I just remembered Steven and Andy fragged my christmas favia and becuase of the clean cut with a band saw, mine healed very quickly.

Mike, as usual you are a HUGE help. Another reason to come over to your place and see your tank(s). Thanks! Let me post a pic and see what you guys think about the size and fragging it. It's not huge by any means, but it was a pay it forward type frag to me and I would like to pass it on to others when possible.

chalices are tough, in nature they are just broken and still survive so a hammer and chisle work great most dont have a thick skeleton so the break fairly easily just by hand. I use my band saw for exact cuts on small pieces but you cant go wrong..

If you read Anthony Calfo's Coral Propagation, he suggest dropping these corals on a concrete floor and picking up the pieces, as a great way to frag them. He goes on to say how resilient and tough they are. For more precise fragging, he suggests, and I use a wet tile saw. Works great!! I've used a dremel tool before, but what a PITA!!! Takes lots of time and the tissue heats up, if you don't constantly dip the coral back in water. With the wet tile saw, it takes seconds and the coral is constantly being bathed in saltwater, from the reservoir.

i would say it depends on the piece. How thick is the skeleton, is it a frag that you grew out or a wild colony? With most chalices (I actually just finished fragging a dozen or so colonies for my shop) there is a bit of recession immediately after you frag just keep it clean of detritus/algae and it will recover just fine. I prefer to use bone cutters to frag mine (make sure to have a sharp razor blade around to help cut flesh that is still attached so you don't rip it). Once you pick a spot to start the frag, they usually break along a natural "line". Like fragging anything the first times are always the most nerve racking...corals are hardy you'll be fine.

I just use a dremmel and score the bottom of the chalice and then a flat tip screw driver or chisel and and then whack it with a hammer and it should break right where it was scored.

The one that i shot you pics of and that im bringing up to you on
sunday was fragged with a tile saw with saltwater in the tank.

if you look at crystal though the tank shes fraging in the pic (rubber mallet and a chisel)
IMG_8170.jpg

I just use a dremmel and score the bottom of the chalice and then a flat tip screw driver or chisel and and then whack it with a hammer and it should break right where it was scored.

I have done this also and it works great. My only wory with a tile saw is the saltwater in the resovoir. My tile saw cost to much to just rust away. Another method is a tile blade on a 4 inch grinder.

Back