how to frag zoas off a frag plug?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Randy-S

Bugman
Anyone have any tricks they want to share?
The only way i can do it is to cut through the zoa mat and to break the frag plug/disk. :)
Whenever i try to remove the zoa from the plug without breaking the disk i kill the zoa.:eek:
So how to you guys do it?

I actually use a razor blade and scrape all the glue and all off the plug with the zoo's :)
if it encrusts over the plug again, I use a razor blade and actually scrape the surface (really hard) of the frag plug under the zoos

Most if not all I've run into have been attached with super glue. I try and get a thin blade in under the polyps to that point where the super glue is and pry up at that point.
The rest of the polyps will usually peel up once the chunk of SG is broken away.
Doing this always carries a risk of stabbing yourself.
And while I disagree with the claims by many that all zoanthids and palys are deadly, there are several others pathogens that come into play and they can be deadly.
So a glove and glasses and some common sense should be used.

I dont want to remove them all from a plug but remove a few to sale or trade or start a new frag plug. Like my wow palys i bought 3 now have seven i would love to cut three off and make a frag out of it. i am just scared of killing them when i try and seperate them

You want me to come down and show you and show you and bring frags for trade ?

One thing that helps looking for a place to start cutting is a magnifying glass on a flexable stand. Helps see inbetween polyps.

That works 9 times outta of ten but tut this Sunday I have a tee time then need to man my company booth at the Clark county home show

Back