How to get random flow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

alazo1

Hello, I have an 80 gallon sps tank. Rockwork is pretty much flat on pvc so it's not a rock wall that climbs in the back. I presently have a modified nano on one end at 45 degree and a seio 1500 on the other end 45 degree (both face the front glass). I'm having a hard time not getting laminar flow in some areas.

I see some have a lot more powerheads but can't seem to figure this out without creating to turbulent of flow.

I've only been diving once and would love to achive the more random and soft flow that you see in a reef. Any ideas, pictures of tanks with ph placements?.

Oh yeah, I also have an mj1200 in the middle back of the tank. It is the mod that shoots at 45 degrees. It is on a wavemaker that turns on about every 10 seconds. Shoots at a different 45 angle every time it starts. Return is a mag 7.

thanks,
Albert

Just a thought...Ever thought about using a Sea Swirl on your return? I used one on my 75gal and enjoyed the random flow it provided in combination with my tunzes :)

Yep, krish said it right, unless you want to get into CL types of systems, adding a SS or Tunze would probably be your best bet.

I'd ditch the nano and get another seio for the other end and a seio controller to get the wave action.

Don

I've heard of some pretty crazy new idea regarding flow...basically putting two high-flow pumps on one end of the tank (like a pair of Seio/Tunze pumps) and creating a clockwise flow...there was not much in the way of detail but the concept was to create more flow by unifying the pumps. As it moved it would still create random flow, according to the person talking about it, while utilizing the pumps more effectively.

Now, I do not know how this works as I have yet to try it...but I was thinking one could expand the concept and put a pair of pumps on either end of the tank, with controllers, and have the flow rotate from clockwise to counter-clockwise on a timed basis. This would create different flow patterns and utilize the pumps better based on the concept above.

Just conceptual stuff...would be interesting to try...I just have other things to invest in before I move to investing in pumps for experimental purposes...which I do plan to do some day.

Two pumps pointed at each other on a wave making device will also help to create random flow patterns. Surge devices also work quite well. I use a combination of multiple Sea Swirls and Tunze streams on several of my tanks.

HTH,
Kevin

Thanks for the replies. I have the return split into 2. One is from a refugium above the tank that would not be possible to put into a ss. The other is from the sump but not too much comming out of that one. I do have an old SS type of device that I may get out of the garage and use it for something.

The modified nano is probably pulling about 1000gph so it's actually pulling pretty good. I do have another seio 800 that is in the tank but I turned off due to too much random flow. I like the idea of 2 ph's facing each other so I'll keep playing around with it. As far as the extra seio I'm thinking of putting it on the bottom corner to bring detritus off the bottom (tank is bb)

Albert

Back