How to get rid of unwated Zoas?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Minus The Ich

Hitchiker
I have some Zoas that I have been trying to get rid of for while. They have been poisoning some of my other corals. I removed the rock that most of them were on but I still have a few straglers on some bigger rock I can;t get to. I need to get rid of them before they repopulate. I was thinking about injecting them with Kwalk. Any help?

dennis

I was assuming they were Zoanthids. Maybe I am wrong. I have attached a picture.

Attachments

• DSCF0191.JPG
    DSCF0191.JPG
    35.4 KB
I am wondering how they are poisoning the other corals?

They may grow over them but,,,,,

palys have one of the most poisonous poisons there is

they contain the most potent form of any organic palytoxin known. but they dont use this unless something is cutting into them...

I would peel them off then paste the area they came off with thick kalk paste...

Matt

palys have one of the most poisonous poisons there is

But the toxin that is in, some of them, will not affect other corals growing around them without some sort of damage to the polyps.

Not all palythoas (button polyps) are the terrible weapon they are made out to be.

But not knowing just by looking at them, it pays to use protection when handling them.

I don't know 100% that the were poisoning my other corals but I was having trouble with a hammer and trumpet. As soon as I removed the majority of buttons they starting recovering. They are not that fun to look at and I don't have too many so better safe than sorry.

I have alot of zoas. I also have some turbinaria, frogspawn, orange cap, mushrooms, alevapora, tons of xenia and a clam... I have not had any problems with warfare in the tank. Not saying that it doesn't happen.. I just haven't seen it. I do run carbon in a mag350. This is all in a 55gal

Hello;

CARBON --- good insurance I say!

Soft corals can be kept with hard corals with carbon and separation. I have noticed that soft fast growing coral will eventually overtake hard slow growers and kill them. Also, most soft corals like Cabbage will puke soon after being put in a new tank --- I didn't test the stuff but I was happy I always use carbon.

For those who don't know --- Carbon removes dissolved organic compounds, toxins and poisions, medicines, heavy metals like copper, odors, and makes the water nice and clear. And if you leave it in too long it makes a nice biological filter when it gets populated with bacteria. Why not use it!

Enjoy!

trade em... move em...

your killing your money. if you have to look at it like that.

Back