How to glue softies....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

boosted306

I have some small frag of different things that will not attach to anything on their own so how do I glue them, safely? I have read that you just get some superglue gel and attach them that way. Is that correct?

The problem with soft corals is that they tend to slime up too much for the superglue gel to work. With soft corals, there's a couple different ways I've used, that work. I usually poke a toothpick through the stock and then push the toothpick into the live rock. Once the soft coral is attached, I remove the toothpick, though I've actually had Xenia and Kenya Tree grow right around the toothpick.

Another method I've used is to lightly rubberband the soft coral to a piece of rubble rock. Cut the rubber band off when the coral attaches.

I prefer to put them in a small bowl with coral rubble or gravel and cover with some mesh. They will grow onto the substrate within a week or two and that can be glued wherever you want. Have had toothpick problems with leathers sealing off, leaving a hole, like earrings, then slide off the end of the pick.

So with the toothpick I would poke the coral (colt) vertically up its "trunk" and then slide the remaining in a rock? Or are you talking horizontally?

I just shove it right through the stock, not up and down, just sideways. Make sure not to shove it through too close to the cut end, as it might just pull out this way. Then push part of it into a crack or small hole in your live rock. Sometimes I then use snips and cut the long portion of toothpick off. I do leave a small piece sticking out from the stock so it doesn't fall off the toothpick.

I have several pieces of rubble in the tank so I think that I will do that. There is a small hole on one that is perfect to fit the stalk of the colt in but a colt seems to have a bit of buoyancy and just floats off. So I will toothpick it and possible rubber band it to the rock.

I have several pieces of zoanthids, will glue work on them?

for zoos if u can get a little chip of rock from the mother colony gel glue works fine.

Back