How to mount Monti Caps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i just bought 3 different variations last night..i'm not sure if they will be shipped tomorrow or Monday..i got a purple, a red/orange, and a green one.. i am trying to find a few more variations

Ron, the orange will grow anywhere as will the green, but watch the purple as they need lots of light. I have a purple and when I got it it was an intense purple and even under my 250w 10k reeflux it's lost a lot of the purple. Lots can be kept under less than halides but there are exceptions to that.

thanks Sue!! i will try to keep it somewhere near the top and see how it does..i can't wait to get them!!!!

i am going to remove most, if not all of my leathers..i am going to set my 72g back up

yep..i got the bug..(not the one that Brenden has:badgrin: )LOL...i want to try a few in my 125g..i think i will keep most of my leathers in the 72g.nobody around here sell any sps corals.. the pet stores don't have the lighting to keep them.. i am going to try to collect various frags and grow them.. i am going to have to upgrade my lighting that i just got!!!:eek:

yep, Ron if you're gonna take the sps plunge then lighting may need to be upgraded.. Wonder what the time line is for someone having to upgrade lighting that fast. Tell me about no one around here that keeps sps corals. I'm even having to go long distance to find frags. I have some nice colonies but mostly frags.

one of them here only carries leathers(tons of them) , mushrooms and polyps.. i am going to look into the upgraded lights..my VHO's have only been hooked up for about a week!!!!. i may buy them in pieces, so that it isn't a bunch of money all at once..i will just buy a ballast here and there..if anyone has any experience buying halides piece by piece, let me know where to get some cheap parts!

one of them here only carries leathers(tons of them) , mushrooms and polyps.. i am going to look into the upgraded lights..my VHO's have only been hooked up for about a week!!!!. i may buy them in pieces, so that it isn't a bunch of money all at once..i will just buy a ballast here and there..if anyone has any experience buying halides piece by piece, let me know where to get some cheap parts!

One option is looking in the sell & trade forums on this forum and others. That's where I got my 400w setup. $105, came with pfo ballast, cheap reflector not in use anymore now using lumenarcIII, xm400w 10k bulb. www.reefexotics.com has some good prices on complete set-ups and seperate parts, www.hellolights.com and www.premiumaquatics.com are also good.
If you can buy new I'd do it

yeah, i planned on buying new stuff... i was looking at icecap ballasts.. i will probably buy one in a week or two, then another, then another...it's really dumb, but for some reason, i don't like to shell out alot of cash at one time... if i spead it out, i guess i don't feel as guilty or something!!!:)

yeah, i planned on buying new stuff... i was looking at icecap ballasts.. i will probably buy one in a week or two, then another, then another...it's really dumb, but for some reason, i don't like to shell out alot of cash at one time... if i spead it out, i guess i don't feel as guilty or something!!!:)
What wattage of lights are you planning to run? Reflectors? Are you planning to run 3 mh's. You could go to 2 400w lights, run a double ballast with lumenarcIII reflectors and have full coverage, run some either t5s or your vhos for dawn and dusk. That way you could have sps anywhere in the tank, plus clams on the bottom. Also some choice lps if you like. Remember flow is just as important as lighting.

i think that by switching to MH you're gonna be happy because then you can keep all those nice sps and lps like the ones Mr show off (Brian) has in his tank :p:D and i agree on the buying one at a time :D

i have a 6ft tank, so i will need 3 MH fixtures...i was thinking probably 250wt ..also, i don't know anything about the reflectors, so if anyone has any advise, i will take it..

i have a 6ft tank, so i will need 3 MH fixtures...i was thinking probably 250wt ..also, i don't know anything about the reflectors, so if anyone has any advise, i will take it..
Reflectors will depend on whether or not you have a canopy and how tall it is. I took my canopy off and went with a LumenarcIII, it's 19.5x19.5x8.5 tall. It was given the best review of all by Sanjay on his lighting website. Reefexotic carries them. Lumen Max is another good one. If your running a canopy, the PFO pendant is also a good one. Are you planning on running double ended or single ended bulbs?

Back