How to Post Photos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O

I wanted to put together a thread showing how to post photos, for those that are either new to forums or those that aren't quite sure how to do it.

There are a couple of different ways to post photos. I'll go over them and include screen shots along the way.

First, here are a couple of links to image resizers. If anyone uses another, please post here, for future reference.

IrfanView
WindowsXP PowerToy

Next, for those that would like to upload pictures to your gallery (and I'll go over the "how to"), there are some limitations on size and space, so if your photo is within these parameters, then you should be good to go. If not, use an image resizer to get the picture to the size it needs to be.

Regular Members are allowed 2MB of photo space, and a 100K file size limit
Premium Members are allowed 5MB of photo space, and a 125K file size limit

Alright - the first method for attaching a picture to a post, is by adding your reply, then "attaching" the picture. The pic will appear at the bottom of the post in an attachment box. It will not be present in your gallery.

To start, you can either click on "Add Reply" or "Go Advanced"... as indicated in the following pictures

shot2.jpg

OR

shot2a.jpg

Then, you will be taken to another screen. From this screen, you can type out your post, and scroll down to "Attach Files". Click on "Manage Attachments", as shown in this picture:

shot3.jpg

This will pop up a little box, where you browse your computer for the file you wish to attach. After you select the file, click on "Upload". You can upload a total of 5 pictures per post. Then, close the window.

shot4.jpg

After this, you can "Submit Reply" or new thread, and walaa - the attachments appear. Using this method, if you Preview Post, you will not see the photo in the preview, however, it will be in the post after submission.

The other method of posting pictures is by using IMG tags. The first thing you need to do, however, is upload a pic to your gallery. You get to your gallery by clicking on "Member Photo Gallery" at the top menu.

You can either click on "My Gallery" on the Left, or "Upload Photos" on the Right. If you click on "My Gallery", then you will be taken to your gallery. Click on "Upload Photos" to continue.

shot5.jpg

Next, you will be prompted to Browse your computer for the file you wish to upload. Once you find the file, then click on "Upload/Submit"

shot6.jpg

The next screen is where you fill in the Title and Description of the photo. After that, click on "Process", and you are done.

shot7.jpg

When you want to post a photo from your gallery, right click on the pic you wish to post, and open it to a new window. There is a url address that will be specific to the photo. Copy the url and paste it in img tags, like in the following picture. (remove the *) [*img]url address of photo[*/img]

shot8.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more clarification :)

Oh man, Scott....Chuck didn't tell me I had more homework to do! :D

I guess there will be an update coming soon!

my pics are 800+ size

i tried resizing the pic but it came out wayyy to small on the screen. my pics average about 800+ size, how do I get it sizable to post pics? can u help me out on this, please. :doubt:

anthonye5 said:
i tried resizing the pic but it came out wayyy to small on the screen. my pics average about 800+ size, how do I get it sizable to post pics? can u help me out on this, please. :doubt:

I'll do my best :). First, let me ask what program you are using? The ones linked in the first post seem to be popular. Also, I have found for my images, that I need to change the quality/resolution of the photo. I make it 72 or a little less on the web depending on the size I make the image for posting (600X400, for example). Here is an article that might help understand this better than I can explain it: Display, Printing, DPI, and PPI. Hope this helps a bit.

I use a Mac, as well. Before I started using Photoshop Elements, I just used iPhoto.

Here's one you can do a trial on, but then you have to purchase it MacBatch Image Resizer

If you scroll down a little, you'll see many different programs. Look for the ones with Mac in parenthesis: Software Tools and Tips

This one goes through a scrip you can make for drag and drop resizing: Mac OSX Hints

Hope this helps!

Cool! You were able to get an attachment. Now, if you want to use the image tags, all you have to do is upload your photos into your gallery.

Go to the menu at the top of the page, and click on "Member Photo Gallery". Then on the right side click on "Upload Photos", then follow the prompts.

Once the pictures are in your gallery, then all you have to do is open the picture in its own window, copy the url, then paste it in your post between the img tags. You can get to the image tags by clicking on "Go Advanced" or "Add Reply" in a post. Then click on the icon above the text/reply box for inserting an image (the icon has a mountain on it), and paste the photo url in the little box that pops up. This automatically adds the image tags. OR, you can type the tags in yourself....just add them in the reply box around the photo url. (remove the *) [*img]paste photo url here[*/img]

I hope this helps, and doesn't confuse you :confused:

240L-stdcnpy-open.jpg

I don't think you have to open pic in a new window just right click it go to properties and copy the url from there.

Last edited:
Back