how to propogate coralline algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mnewby

always
I have had to redo a tank that was in a 125 gallon I had to move it down to 55 gallons the live rock that was in there is still alive but all the coralline algae is gone the tank is stable I do have a few corals and a sea anemone in the tank that's doing well. I Is there a way to recede the coralline algae and get it going again it looks a lot better then green algae or white rock

Hello,
Here's the quickest way to spread coralline algae. You will need to buy/borrow a rock with a few square inches of algae already on it. Then get a sponge (very well rinsed) with a scratch pad on one side. Hold the rock in front of a powerhead and rub the rock with the scratchy side of the sponge. I have done this many times over the last 20+ years and if the mineral levels are correct in the tank water it works every time.

Regards,
Kevin

Usually ill take a razorblade and scrape it off. Youll get a purple grey nasty puddle to pour into desired tank. Hths
D

If you need some seed coralline algae I have never had a LFS turn me down for a free scraping. Then just do like mentioned above and break it into tiny pieces letting it shoot through a pump of some sort.

Back