How to QT/Intro Tangs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

I've figured I'm done adding butterflies after I add my falcula in a couple days. I still need to add a majestic angel, but I'm thinking how I'm gonna add the 3 tangs I want. This is a 125g with a good sized sump. I'm looking at a Kole, Powder Brown (japonicus), and Purple. Since I'm dealing with tangs I know that qt is essential. I want to get all the fish at around 3". Would I be better adding them all at the same time or in order of aggression. If I do it all at the same time how should I qt them. I have a couple options for different tanks.

if you qt them all at once, you will need a good size qt tank..also, not sure if you qt'd your other fish, but if you didn't, it won't matter if you qt the tangs..it would probably be best to add them all at once, but it shouldn't hurt if you don't...of all those, i would say the purple will most likely be the aggressive one, if any...they are not the same body shape or color, so they most likely won't even be a problem at all

Ya, I figured the kole would be the most easy going, followd by the powder and then purple.

They will outgrow that size tank within a year, I'm guessing you have plans for replacing them later. How many fish do you already have?

I'll side-step giving too much advice on this. The tank is not optimum for those fishes. If you want that many tangs, begin with a 180.

Adding a lot of bio-load (many fishes) to a tank is no way to encourage marine system stability. This could kill all the fish you have. Add fish slowly to a marine system. Quarantine such fish one at a time.

I should be fine if I drop the powder brown then, the kole doesn't get very large and the purple has many years before it gets any where near max size.

A pearlscale and kleins butterfly, a finespot wrasse. I'm getting a burgess and falcula butterfly. I plan on getting a majestic angel.

You guys beat me down, I'm going to only get a purple tang. I talked to someone who had multiple tangs in a 125g and she mentioned how big their poop is. I'd rather not have 3 big fish laying dog logs in my tank.

With the fish you will have eventually they will poop big, & let me tell you one big fish will poop more than three little ones:D
You will have lots of action in there, take your time & you'll enjoy it more than having to spend more time cleaning the tank so much.

Back