How to solvent cement large acrylic panels

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

phixer

I have some cell cast acrylic panels that are 1.25" thick. They are 10FT in length and about 36" tall. Im trying to decide which method to use to bond them. I have made lots of smaller tanks but none with material this thick or panels this long and heavy. Up to this point I have always used solvent cement, but at this thickness Im thinking Weld On #40/42 might be best. Here's where Im confused.

Will #40/42 form as strong a bond as #4 even though its not really a solvent?

Since it's #40/42 and fills gaps, should I bevel the edges of the vertical panels, creating a small gap from the outside bevel. Then fill it in with the cement using a jig to keep it perpendicular. This would create a fillet on the outside that could be routed off.

Using #4 and the pin method, if I let it soak for long enough will the solvent be completely squeezed out of the joint from the weight of the panel after I pull the pins and the panel sinks down or will a long enough set time allow the both surfaces enough time to soften so they mesh together and it wont matter what squeezes out when the piins are pulled?

Confused as to what method and type of cement should be used here.

Thank you

Welcome to RF!! Glad you can join us!:) As for the tank, I've never tried bonding anything that big so couldn't say. However, we have a few members here that build tanks all the time as a hobby and some for a profession that would be able to help you so here's a bump. Good luck!:)

Although by far I'm no expert or not even good at gluing acrylic I've read & talked to several people about things like this. I think you should stick to the #4, It will take some planning but I would think it will be stronger bond as the solvent actually welds the two together. Shoot Big-T a PM & if anything we have a few tank makers here that sponsor us, maybe they would also help.
BTW welcome to RF, hope you get the info required & post it up as you make this huge tank:)

weld on 40 2 part will be the best for that job..... no questions about it... ask any builder for aquariums of that size and thickness use the 2 part weld/on 40.

Thanks for your comments, will the edge need a 15 degree outside bevel across the face for the #40 to fill in to?

negitive

no manufactor i have herd of wants you to cut any bevels..... straight nice cuts with a triple chip blade i am thinking like a 5 tooth per inch. or 3.

wow

Welp i guess we learn new things everyday... Sorry for the mis leading. I have the video from plexiglass nothign about bevels hmm but i seen your post....???? got me...

Back