how to start overflow???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

freetareef

i just got a new setup and it has a overflow that has the u tube, and i have no idea on how to start it... mine are all wier style and i just hook up a pump with a venturi and the suction starts it. i really need some help i'm filling the tank up now... thanks in advance josh

I'm having a problem with my own overflow so I won't even begin to consider giving you advice; but I will be paying close attention to those that do!

fill the inner box and the outer box, then thread an airline into the tube and stop it at the top of the U and slightly to toward the outer box. Now suck. That will suck the air out and start the siphon. Hopefully your airline is long enough so you wont get a mouthful. Remove the airline tubing once its started.

Just as described by Rod and TRUST me, your airline tube isn't long enough. You're going to get a mouthful every time!!! I recently switched to a CPR overflow box, as I was tired of having to siphon out collected bubbles once a week...lol.

Yup, you'll get a mouthful every time. I'd suggest learning to like the taste of saltwater and the way salt burns when it splashes into your eyes, it kinda comes with the hobby :) Don't worry, you're immune system will just get a bit of a workout. Just try not to eat the zoanthids, even though some look a lot like candy.

Bubbles shouldn't accumulate, if that's happening you're not getting enough flow through the siphon. From my little "why the hell doesn't this work" experiment, it takes about 400GPH to push bubbles through a 1.125" ID U-tube (that's pretty much the standard size). I was a bit surprised when I my 4' lift actually translated into about 6' of head loss due to elbows, pipe diameter, etc and I wasn't able to get anywhere near this with the pump I originally had.

LFS told me you can drill a hole in the U-Tube and add a nipple on it...and use that pump the CPR's use to start and maintain the siphon.

They said this modification is a good idea because if you lose your siphon for what ever reason... you will have an overflow of the tank and a mess. This modification will prevent it.

A better way to prevent flooding is to ensure the return section of your sump cant flood your tank. Drilling a hole your adding points of failure: the seal around the hole drilled, the line can come loose from the power head, the power head can fail or just not come back on.

So measure the return section (in inches^3, gallons doesn't matter) then divide this by the length and width of the display and insure that when the return pump is running you still have that much space. But this will likely burn out your return pump if you loose siphon so you've got to choose which is less costly/annoying/likely to piss off the spouse: return pump or water damage to the floor/baseboards around the tank.

You'll also want to check the other way to make sure the sump can't flood with the return pump off.

Messed and sucked on over flows for 2 years, air bubbles, ect. switched to a CPR over flow, never looked back, world of difference

Back