How to take off silicone on acrylic tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Azn

Life's Beachy!!!
Anyone know how to take off silicone on an acrylic tank without me messing up the looks of the tank? I used my acrylic tank as a sump with baffles that I siliconed together and now I'm going to use it as a tank, so I need to get the silicone off the front of the tank with making a mess or damaging the acrylic. Is there some kind of safe chemical I can use without damaging the acrylic or do I have to do it the old school style and use elbow grease? :doubt:

But there's would still be a little silicone smear? I don't have problem taking off the thick stuff, but the left over smeared silicone is what I'm referring about.

theres a product you can get that removes silicone, i got it a while back when i was remodeling the bathroom. you can get it at homedepot. silcone remover. you just paste it on the silicone, wait five minutes and it just melts it. now, i dont know if its safe for acrylic, or aquarium safe.

theres a product you can get that removes silicone, i got it a while back when i was remodeling the bathroom. you can get it at homedepot. silcone remover. you just paste it on the silicone, wait five minutes and it just melts it. now, i dont know if its safe for acrylic, or aquarium safe.

That's the problem... it's not safe for acrylic. I have something similar that can remove glue like stuff, but it will melt the acrylic as well.

Oh hey I found something online Digesil® Silicone De-polymerizers or Re-Mov Canada. Now the problem is where the heck do I find this stuff?

call Tap plastics. They can definitely tell you what you can use. You didn't end up getting rid of your tank did you?

After you scrape the majority of it off with a good plastic scraper you might be able to use the Novus 2 and finish it off with the Novus 1 to polish it out. Probably do your whole tank with the Novus 2, will polish it right up with a little elbow grease :)

Remove Canada?? Dude that's harsh!:lol:

lol... that's what I thought :lol:

call Tap plastics. They can definitely tell you what you can use. You didn't end up getting rid of your tank did you?

Yeah Chris... sadly to say, but I got rid of it. Just way too big for the house. I'm taking a break for a while, so I can focus on other things, but I know I'll definitely be back soon. as a matter of fact I'm working on my new tank now. :lol:

After you scrape the majority of it off with a good plastic scraper you might be able to use the Novus 2 and finish it off with the Novus 1 to polish it out. Probably do your whole tank with the Novus 2, will polish it right up with a little elbow grease :)

I'll do that Vinny after I use some of this stuff I got from Home Depot. Hopefully I don't mess up my tank. Crossing my fingers. That Novus stuff works pretty good. I used it on my last tank, well couple tanks and it got off a lot of blemishes on couple acrylic tanks.

Also if you have any scratches you want to remove you can sand it first. The scratch removal kits they have out ues extremly fine grit paper, which you can locate at auto body supply shop. Some deeper scratches I have even used 400. Pretty harsh but it got the job done in a quarter of the time. Probably would not recomend this for rookies. You could end up just sanding right through your tank and put a big whole in it. LOL Anyway I would sand first sideways, let to right and then go top to bottom. Work back to a finer grit to get the surface more even. Then use the Novus 2 and then Novus 1. Be careful of other products from people who don't really know :)

Back