How to tell the sex of a fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JRBear5658

How can you tell the sex of Helfrichi Firefish? Many people have said there is a way they jsut dont know how i was wondering if any one on here knows how???

JR

Gobiidae Micropredators

Hi JR I have a Dr. Burgess Atlas I checked it out on your Helfrichi Firefish I was not able to come up with anything in the book on it.:oops:
I did come up with some other tidbits i don't know If you have learned this or not but i thought i would pass it on.
I guess since they are from the family Gobiidae they are a small and peacefully with other fishes but very territorial with their own species. They get about 5 MM in length and they are a shy fish from the pacific islands. How is the little guy doing? What are you feeding it? Good luck on your quest..Jeff

JRBear5658 said:
How can you tell the sex of Helfrichi Firefish? Many people have said there is a way they jsut dont know how i was wondering if any one on here knows how???

JR

hey is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches he eats live brine, mini mysis, formula 1 and 2 pelets and frozen cubes, krill and even flake I tried and he ate.

well I have had many friends keep fire fish together if same breed and in a 45 gallon or more, (dont mix type of fire fish at all lol)

JR

Well Jr I cant seem to find anymore about the Helfrichi sex ???. My own personal experience with them was seeing a pair at our LFS in Richland In a 12-15 gallon Nano Tank and they were glued together the whole time i observed them I wounder If you would have added two together at the same time if you would have had the same luck??? One last thing JR I go this link to this fish base a year or 2 ago from Kevinpo and they have a little info on your little guy or gal?? check out this link:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=12750

Hope this helps...Jeff

I have some of the same questions you have about these fish, and have been searching for some time now. These does't seem to be much information about these firefish. I have been told everything from color variations to size of dorsal fins to the spots on or near their head. All of which doesn't add up when observing a true pair. Heck, I haven't even been able to get information on breeding practices. Seems like little is known about them or people aren't sharing what they know.

Good Luck...and if i come across anything I'll let you know.

Well Saltwater city a guy told me that the males dorsal fin is long and more skinny and pointy and the female's is more short thicker and and more like dull ended

which I have seen

I have seen the same but it doesn't seem to be consistant. We need more proof before we can use that as a basis to seperate males from females.

Firefish are gender monochromatic, so its a real pain. I've never seen any noticable dorsal fin difference, but that's the only way to tell from anything I've read.

-Dylan

Back