how to use ultralife red slime-remover

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sx230

i bought this slime remover it say's to mix 1 level spoonful for each 15 gallons.now do i use regular kitchen spoon or plastic scoop that comes with product.just whant to make sure how to use :oops:

no but i would think you have to let it saturate in the tank before skimming it out.very little instructions

I can't remember off hand what others done inthe past, maybe someone will chime in. How bad is your red slime? You know harvesting it is a good export & eventually it should clear up but you need to also find the cause.

its not that bad but its a nuisance looking at it.i have tryied to figure out cause with no luck.reduced light,siphon sand for ditrus ,more flow out of phos reactor(phosphate remover).added another pump for better flow.running carbon.anything i might be overlooking?i do appreciate your help

It takes time, keep it up, watch your feeding & keep sucking it out, this is a good way for exporting. If you have lots of corals you may try & wait a little longer before trying to treat it with the remover. If you don't solve the problem it might just come back but in some severe cases it may be the only solution, after your sure you covered your basis throughly.

thanks scooterman! the part that iritates me is that i got rid of all softies certain fish added new eguipment to add sps, been very patient now i get cyno the funny thing is that acro frags(testers) i have in tank are actually showing growth and better coloration !go figure! i have came to a conclusion that might have started bloom i used aiptasia remover by chem-marine with no good affects on aiptasia just after cyno appeard my guess

use the tiny spoon that came with it turn off the skimmer for at least a day and remove any carbon or phosban or any thing else absorbant- just use normal filter media if any at all. increase flow helps the red slime go away. also turn off u.v. and ozonizer if you have them. increase oxygen exchange if it is minimal now. good luck and have fun!

If you can starve out the cyano without using the slime remover, that really is a better way to go IMO. Products like this tend to be oxidizers, and if you make a mistake with them and/or you have a lot of waste in the tank, you can crash out your saturated oxygen levels faily rapidly, endangering your livestock. I'd reccommend saving the slime remover as a very last resort, I'd try to combat the cyano with improved water quaility...

MikeS

Back