Huge bristle worm...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slate

So today after feeding the tank I believe I saw a 5-6in bristle worm come behind my large rock and then head back in before I could pick my jaw back up off the floor. I didn't think to grab the camera real quick to get a pic for everyone to help ID it. It was mostly greys for coloring no red or anything like that. If I see it again should I try to get him out with my tongs, or are most of you keeping these scavengers in your tanks these days?

Ehhh, wait until you find one a foot long. Yeah, you will. No worries, they're great detrivore feeders.

It was cool and creepy at the same time. I guess it is just taking me a while to realize exactly how much life there is in a reef tank compared to the old cichlid setup.

Bristle Worms

I have had a couple that turned out to be bigger than desired. Here is a pic of one that I had and knew it was in my rock, but could never find it. One evening I found it in the overflow and reached in (with tongs) and got it out. Kind of a shame to have gotten rid of it, but it really creeped me out.

The little ones in the fuge I leave alone, anything getting into the DT I remove or if they are little ones my wrasses seem to like the taste of them.

by chance did it spit wierd fluid at you???? My friend was arranging some rock in his tank and a huge one came out and spit crap at him and he freaked out and dropped the rock he was holding right on his clam.

by chance did it spit wierd fluid at you???? My friend was arranging some rock in his tank and a huge one came out and spit crap at him and he freaked out and dropped the rock he was holding right on his clam.

:shock: no, but I don't think I would put my hand in with one crawling around. With my luck I would get stung. Since finding the large one I have seen a few other small bristle worms while checking the tank at night with my flashlight.

lol i agree my clown fish bitting my is one thing a big semen spitting worm is another

The poor thing! Did the clam make it?

i have several that are hugh. 8 plus inches in my fuge. i am allergic so whenever i find a few i throw them out

6 Ft worm

Try this one on for size. This site is amazing by the way, he has a beautiful tank, If I ever have a worm like this I'm done with this hobby. I'm just saying.

i have several that are hugh. 8 plus inches in my fuge. i am allergic so whenever i find a few i throw them out

This is an awesome site I've used for worm identification:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html

After identifying my little bristle-worm detritivores I started wearing gloves for a bit... but it was way too annoying. So I gave up. The little ones I have must be pretty good at diving out of the way of my fingers, since there are tons and I've never been stung by one.

I have spaghetti worms too, and those I think are one of the coolest things in my aquarium. I have some with 4'' long 'spaghetti' in stripes of black and yellow. Maybe I can set a record :)

cool

This is an awesome site I've used for worm identification:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html

After identifying my little bristle-worm detritivores I started wearing gloves for a bit... but it was way too annoying. So I gave up. The little ones I have must be pretty good at diving out of the way of my fingers, since there are tons and I've never been stung by one.

I have spaghetti worms too, and those I think are one of the coolest things in my aquarium. I have some with 4'' long 'spaghetti' in stripes of black and yellow. Maybe I can set a record :)

that's a cool site - kinda gross at the same time :D!!!thanks

wow

So today after feeding the tank I believe I saw a 5-6in bristle worm come behind my large rock and then head back in before I could pick my jaw back up off the floor. I didn't think to grab the camera real quick to get a pic for everyone to help ID it. It was mostly greys for coloring no red or anything like that. If I see it again should I try to get him out with my tongs, or are most of you keeping these scavengers in your tanks these days?

I get rid of them I was always told they eat your corals

Back